Chapter 12 - The Becoming

Scourge travelled through the streets of the Twolegplace, carefully watching kittypets as he prowled through the streets. He wanted a Twoleg who wouldn't keep him inside the nest, but one who would take pride in him, help him be strong, and put a collar on him. Then he met a street cat named Eagle who knew exactly which Twoleg nest he should choose.

"So anyway," Eagle was saying, "There's a she-cat named Ivy who prowls those parts. She controls a gang of cats, calls them the Becoming. She's a rogue cat, with the threats to prove it. Ivy will help you escape your Twolegs, and you can try to leave the Becoming. You seem like the brave type, brave enough to try to escape her. But-"

Suddenly, a rope landed around Eagle's neck. Scourge leapt around, raised his hackles, and hissed. But he was helpless to do anything as Twolegs dragged Eagle off.

It's fine, he told himself. Emotions help no one. He continued grimly in the direction Eagle had told him to go. After around half a moon, he'd learned to drown his emotions in bloodlust and hate, the feelings that had helped him found BloodClan. His Clan. Those cats were probably with this Ivy now. Maybe he could overthrow her. 

Soon enough, he reached Ivy's "home". A ginger cat jumped out at him.

"Who are you-"

But then Scourge was on him, grabbing fur with his claws, and ripping up the ginger tom's back. Scourge grunted. He hadn't used the killing bite in moons, since he had preferred to rip an enemy's throat open. But right now he was weak. So it was his only option. Scourge twisted, grabbing his opponent's neck, and gave a quick twist. A resounding crack echoed through the Twolegplace.

Three black kittens scampered up a hill, and after a few seconds, a beautiful Siamese she-cat with icy blue eyes stepped up to Scourge.

"Who are you, little one?" she purred. "To defeat Adder like that, you'd need years of training. What are you? A refugee, a traitor from the Clans-" she paused, and sniffed. "Ah, yes. ThunderClan, if I'm not mistaken. With kittypet heritage."

Stunned, Scourge nodded. "What do you want from me?" he hissed.

"My name is Ivy," the she-cat purred. She unsheathed her claws, which were dagger-sharp. "I will take you into the Becoming. What is your name, little one?"

"My name is Scourge," Scourge said, his voice coming out strong and confident. "Once, my name was Tiny, but I am small no longer. I will not be called little one without a fight, Ivy." He boldly sneered the last word.

"Very well," she purred, not even flinching at his hostility. "Welcome to the Becoming, Scourge. We welcome you. Now, normally you would take up Adder's position, but I will have the Nightshades do that," she said, flicking her tail at the three black kittens. Each had their own stunning eyes, one set pale gray, one set deep purple, and one set a bright, orange copper.

"What can three kittens do?" he asked, stunned.

"Kill," Ivy said humorlessly. "Now, my pretty one," she continued, swapping the old nickname for a new one, "I will have you as part of my personal guard."

The whole group of cats gasped.

"Very well," Scourge said slyly. "But I have one caveat."

Ivy nodded. "We can provide it." This summoned more gasps.

"I want every member of the Becoming to get a Twoleg collar-"

"No."

"Hear me out."

"Very well," Ivy said, blue eyes curious, and suspicious.

"I want every member of the Becoming to get a Twoleg collar. Then, they must escape the Twolegs, and kill a dog to prove their strength. They must stud their collar with dog teeth. Once, I covered my claws with the tips of dogs' claws, and I had dog teeth in my collar. If I can complete this trial, your cats should be able to. A test of strength."

Ivy nodded. "Then, by all means, let the Trials begin."