Nine: Enkidu

"So Enkidu," Aleksei spoke once the lancer was seated in front of him. "You can tell me as much or as little as you want about your past, it's about what is comfortable for you."

"Before I start, I have a question for you," They said, their hands folded in their lap as their eyes focused on the man sitting beyond the camp fire. "Do you not have dreams of your servants' pasts?"

"You're quite perceptive," The Russian hummed as he titled his head fondly. "That's right, I don't have dreams of my servants' lives. I find it an invasion of privacy, which is why I do this instead."

"How do you control such an aspect of the grail?" Enkidu questioned as their eyebrows furrowed.

"Quite easily, actually," Aleksei yawned before going on to explain. "I was formed from the grail, and for whatever reason, the damn thing sees me as its son and lets me do whatever I want and gives me anything I ask of it," He told them. "And that's how I got you."

"Ah, I see," Enkidu smiled. "Then I'm glad. Shall I begin my story?"

"Please do," The Russian nodded, folding his hands in front of him and resting his chin on them as he gave his complete attention to the lancer.

"As I'm sure you know," Enkidu started off, placing a hand on their chest. "I am neither male nor female, though I can take either sex's form if need be. I was made from clay by the hands of the gods Anu and Aruru. The first thing that I heard was a voice, though I never figured out the owner. Because of that voice, I opened my eyes and found myself gazing at the clear blue sky. The reason I was created was to bring Gilgamesh back under the control of the gods, or kill him.

"However, because I had no soul, I ended up mostly doing as wild animals would, and I was happy with that. From time to time, the voice that woke me would sound, calling me to the city in the distance but I never listened. That is," They paused, fisting their garments. "Until Shamhat appeared. She was beautiful, and I was taken with her. We..." Enkidu bit their lip with a slight flush. "Did things for almost a week before my form was finally shaped as a human. I take after her appearance in my human form.

"The first time I spoke my name was when I realized what my purpose was. Seeking Gilgamesh out to impose the wrath and judgement of the gods onto him. When I found him, he was still a child, so I had to wait. The thought of trying to change him while I waited never occurred to me, but I did doubt the gods' judgement since the child Gilgamesh was..." They trailed off, a smile on their face as they recalled those times. "Pure, innocent, kind..

"But then he grew up, and turned out to be a tyrant, exactly as the gods had predicted. Therefore, I confronted him, and we fought. It was a long fight that lasted several days without rest, but at the end of it, we were both laughing as we laid on the ground, spent and exhausted. That's how I became friends with the King of Uruk and helped him move past being a tyrant.

"At first, I had no notion of what a friend was. Gilgamesh was the first to actually call us friends as he chided me for calling myself a tool," Enkidu chuckled. "Even though I am just a tool..."

"Fool," Aleksei grumbled, causing the lancer to perk up in shock. "Live together and fight together. That's no longer human or tool."

"...That's called friends," They finished, not even questioning how their master knew of what Gilgamesh had said to them. "I'm sorry, it's a habit to call myself a tool. Even when I was seconds away from dying, I tried to placate Gil by telling him not to cry because I was only one of his numberous weapons and that it was certain he could find countless others so I wasn't worthy of his tears.

"He yelled that I had worth, that I was and will forever be his only friend. And that was the last thing I heard," They smiled sadly. "All because Ishtar was rejected and sent Gugalanna, the bull of heaven, down to punish us, only for us to kill it instead."

"I'm sorry that happened to you," The Russian murmured, pursing his lips. "But thank you for your willingness to tell me."

"Of course," Enkidu smiled brightly at him. "It's the least I can do."

"Then, do you mind if I ask you some questions?" Aleksei tilted his head, causing the lancer to shake theirs.

"No, please go ahead."

"My first question is," He began. "What are you goals now that you have been summoned by me?"

"To help you in whatever you desire to do," They responded promptly.

"I see," Aleksei nodded. "My next question is, since you're a servant, what wish do you have for the grail?"

"I don't have a wish for the grail," The lancer revealed softly. "In fact, I can become a wish granting device myself--"

"Please don't," The Russian immediately shut that idea down, causing them to chuckle.

"Okay, I won't. Do you have any more questions?" Enkidu asked, leaning forward a bit with their hands still folded in their lap. Aleksei shook his head.

"No, that's all I need to know. If you have any questions for me, you can ask now and any time you feel the need to," He told them.

"Then I have a request, if you don't mind," The lancer looked slightly nervous at the mention of it, but the master didn't seem phased as he nodded his head.

"Go ahead."

"Could you..." They trailed off for a moment before reasserting eye contact. "Hold off on summoning Gilgamesh? I'm... not ready to face him just yet."

"That's reasonable," Aleksei said as he stood up and stretched his arms over his head. "I can wait as long as you want before I try to summon him, so take your time and do your best. That's all I can ask of you," He held out his hand to them. "Alright?"

"Yes," Enkidu took his hand and stood up as well, the morning sunrise illuminating their face. "Thank you, Aleksei."