Chapter 16

Over the next few weeks, you got more and more familiar with the daycare and Pizzaplex in general. Your day was mostly the same; get to the daycare, clean before opening, get activities going once the kids started arriving, supervise, have lunch, do your afternoon cleanup, supervise again, naptime, end of the day activities and pickup, and finally end of the day cleaning. It was tedious, but you had gotten good enough to start doing some of your tasks without much thought.

Your relationship with Sun and Moon had also grown. You were on really good terms with the two, enough to be considered one of their closest friends by a lot of the other staff. You thought they were pretty cool and you tried to spend as much time around them as you could. The two made you feel safe.

Currently, it was lunch break. You were waiting at the daycare while Amanda and Peter had gone off to get clean blankets from the laundry room. You were sitting at the desk, doodling random costume ideas while Sun and Oliver played a game of tag. You had grabbed some of the colored pencils from the arts and crafts bin, trying and failing to blend colors. You had made a few attempts at a costume design, leaving one of them uncolored so you didn't ruin it.

"(y/n)! Save me!" Oliver yelled, running behind the desk and grabbing your chair.

Your attention snapped back to what was going on around you, seeing Sun nearly fall over while trying to stop himself from sliding into the area behind the desk.

"Ollie, you're not supposed to be back here," you said, picking him up.

"But it's the only safe spot!" he whined, kicking his legs.

"But that's not fair to Mr. Sun, now is it?" you said, bringing him back to the main play area.

Oliver squirmed out of your arms, running off into one of the jungle gyms while sticking his tongue out at you.

"Thank you, Sunshine. I'm sorry I couldn't keep him away," Sun said, rubbing the back of his neck as he walked over.

"It's alright. If you need help with any of the kids, especially Ollie, I'm glad to help," you said.

Sun smiled, giving you a hug. "Thank you."

"Hey! You can't hug them!" Oliver yelled from the bridge.

"Oh, ho ho! Well then, I better find you and give you a hug then!" Sun exclaimed, darting off into one of the play structures.

Oliver squealed and ran away, starting up yet another game of chase. You smiled as you walked back to the desk. You went back to trying to color the different outfits you had drawn, getting frustrated at the waxy texture of the pencils making it hard to blend any color.

A few minutes went by and the doors to the daycare opened. You looked over to see Peter and Amanda pushing two large carts, each filled to the brim with blankets. You got up from your spot behind the desk, helping to pull the carts in.

"Thanks. I don't get how these things are so heavy," Amanda huffed, bending over and placing her hands on her knees.

"Well, let's get all the blankets folded and put away before kids start showing up," Peter said.

All of you started pulling out blankets and folding them. You had to spread them out on the floor with how big they were. Their thickness also made it a little hard to fold them down to fit in the shelves. A few minutes into folding, Oliver and Sun joined in. Sun was surprisingly fast at folding all of the blankets and Oliver mostly just laid on top of them for a minute to help keep them from unfolding.

As the last few blankets were being folded, the doors to the daycare opened and one of the managers came in with a worried look.

"Hey, boss. What's up?" Peter asked, pausing mid-fold.

"We're closing down early," the manager said.

"Wait, what?" you asked.

"What happened?" Amanda asked.

"There were... a few incidents. Monty almost punched a kid at Gator Golf, Chica attacked one of the kitchen staff bots, the DJ almost squished a couple of teens. Something is off with their programming. We're worried that all of the bots are affected and we're not going to risk a lawsuit," the manager explained.

Looking around, you noticed that both Amanda and Peter looked concerned. Looking at Sun, you saw fear in his eyes. It broke your heart.

"So, what's going to happen?" Peter asked.

"Well, we think the problems might be related to those new upgrades all of the animatronics got. Peter, I want you to stay here with the other maintenance crew and see if you can help them find any problems. (y/n), Amanda, you two are free to head home. We'll contact you if the Pizzaplex is still closed tomorrow," the manager said.

"Can't (y/n) stay here and help? Aren't they with maintenance?" Sun asked, sounding a little desperate as he grabbed your arm.

"I'm sorry, but there won't be anyone to watch over their brother and we can't bring him down to the maintenance hall. (y/n)'s just going to have to take him home," the manager said.

You could feel Sun gripping your arm tighter. He didn't want you to go. You carefully put your hand on his, giving him a small smile.

"Don't worry, I'll be back as soon as we're open again. I promise," you said.

Sun nodded, slowly letting go of your arm.

"I'm sorry to cut your shifts short. We'll try and compensate for your loss of hours," the manager said, looking at you and Amanda.

"It's alright. You guys are just trying to keep everyone safe," Amanda said, giving a small shrug.

"Alright. Sun, Peter, let's go down to the maintenance hall. You two can lock up," the manager said, leading Peter and Sun out of the daycare.

You and Amanda waited until they had gone down the elevator before finally speaking.

"Jesus... Monty punching a kid? The hell could've caused that?" she asked.

"I don't know, that has to go against his programming," you said.

"I mean, they are kinda sentient? They have thoughts and feelings and can act outside of their basic programming, but those actions shouldn't get any of the kids hurt," she said.

"Well, let's just hope they fix the problem and it doesn't happen again. From what Bill has been telling me, Fazbear Entertainment has been in legal hell recently and we don't need another lawsuit," you said.

"Great. So, the animatronics are getting buggy and we might lose our jobs!" Amanda exclaimed, throwing her hands up in the air.

"I'm sure it'll be fine. No one was hurt, they can just blame it on a small programming bug or something. Bugs and glitches happen, people will understand," you said, not really sure of how true your words actually were.

"Well, let's get out of here. I'm starting to get bad vibes and I don't like it," she said.

You nodded, grabbing your stuff from the desk and picking up Oliver before speed walking out of the daycare. You passed by the daycare entrance to Gator Golf, seeing some staff spreading out some cones and taping up a piece of paper on the door. You couldn't read what was on it, but you got the feeling it had something to do with the attraction being closed.

As the two of you walked, Amanda took notice of the piece of paper in your hands.

"What's that?" she asked.

"Costume ideas, for Halloween," you said, holding it up.

"Oh, can I see?" she asked. You handed her the drawing, watching as she looked it over. "Nice, nice. You want help with actually making one of these?"

"Yes please," you said.

"Hey, (y/n)?" Oliver said, poking your cheek.

"What's up?" you asked.

"Is Mr. Sun and Mr. Moon gonna be okay?" he asked.

"I'm sure they'll be fine. They'll be all good by tomorrow," you said.