01. New

My eyes wandered the bland office. Principal, um, Barnes (I think?) sat in front of me. He was leaned back in his black leather office chair, clicking a pen aggressively as he read through the papers I was required to give him from my old school. Above him was an enlarged black and white photograph of a man standing next to the front of the school. Under it was engraved in silver,"EST. 1992."

There was an empty seat to the right of me, and the walls surrounding us were blank besides the bookshelf to the left of us and the calendar beside it. There was a mug on his desk, holding unorganized pens and pencils. A laptop also sat atop the dark wood of the desk, other than that, the office was quite empty.

I waited impatiently for Mr. Barnes to say something. He leaned back forward, finally setting down the pen. His dark, bushy eyebrows furrowed together as he read through the glasses resting at the tip of his long, crooked nose. He then glanced up at me, back down at the paperwork, then at me again.

"Olivia Marry?" he said.

"Olivia Murray, actually." I corrected him, widening my eyes as I looked back down at my hands, continuing to fidget with the golden studs on the armrest.

"Ah, my bad. So you said you are fifteen. What school did you go to in New York, again?" he asked.

Without looking up, I said,"James Madison High School. JMHS. It's on the paperwork."

He picked back up the pen and scribbled something down on a piece of paper, then he very unenthusiastically deadpanned,"Well, welcome to Pickering, and welcome to Pine Ridge. I'm certain you'll love it here. Okay, now, let me just write this down..." And he scribbled something again before proceeding,"Take this to Mrs. Zimmerman in the main office, and she will give you your new schedule, she will also be the one to make any changes to it if you find you do not like one of your classes. Let her know." He handed me a folded piece of light blue paper.

I smiled weakly at him as I slung my backpack over my shoulder and walked out of his office, finding the main office. "Mrs. Zimmerman?" I spoke, and a kind-looking woman with dark skin and short curly hair looked up at me, smirking sincerely.

"That would be me, how can I help you, darling?" I set the paper on the counter. "Mr. Barnes told me to give this to you. I need a schedule?" And then the second period bell went off, making me jump. She giggled, took the paper, read it, typed something into the bulky computer before her and soon gave me a piece of freshly printed paper.

"The teacher's names and classroom numbers are on there. Make sure your teachers sign next to their name and bring this back to me later. Come back down here if you need any help finding them! Have a good one, dear!" And with that, I very nervously left the office.

Since second period was about to begin, I decided to rush there, getting there immediately when the tardy bell rang. I stood in the doorway, looking into the room. There was three rows of two desks pushed beside each other, and three groups of two in each row. The thin, lanky woman whom I assumed to be the teacher scooted out from her desk, walking towards me. "Hi there, are you new?" I just nodded, all the class staring at me.

I got a little uncomfortable, and hoped I was making a good impression. I was dressed in a black skirt with a pair of over-worn knock-off boots and a white t-shirt that was tucked into my skirt. I ran my fingers through my smooth dark brown hair (cut to my shoulders in layers) and beamed.

"Do you have your schedule with you?" I handed it to the woman, and she went over to her desk and signed it. Then she wallowed back over to me, returning the slip, and telling me to introduce myself.

"Um, hi. I'm Olivia Murray, I just moved here from New York." And I didn't know what else to say, so the teacher grinned at me and said,"I'm Mrs. Parker, I'll be your English Language Arts teacher, and um, class? Where can Olivia sit?"

Everybody just looked around, until an attractive boy with chiseled muscles prominent through his thin black shirt, deep brown hair, and matching, kind eyes peering up from his desk, raised his hand. When Mrs. Parker nodded at him, he spoke with a low, smooth voice. "Olivia can sit here. Andrew changed schedules, so this seat's open." he offered.

"Thank you, Shawn. Olivia, that will be your new seat." she said, and I walked down the row to my new seat next to the handsome boy, Shawn, setting my backpack on the floor beside me and sitting down. Shawn smiled at me, and I smiled back, sighing reassuringly as the class begun.

- - -
(A/N) 5/4/15

hello! welcome to my new story. i really hope you like it, i want it to be good. i hope it turns out:-)

comment what you think here i guess.

10 votes for next chapter? might be a long shot but still! i will update as much as possible. thanks!

-sophia