Chapter 19: Fear → Drive ↔ Generosity(?)

Arsene Lippin, who had promised Emperor Milishial VIII that a new Heavenly Vessel will be completed in two years one-sidedly without consultation and coordination with others, had forced the panicked and frightened organizations related to its development to quicken the pace of their activities, not out of respect to MOASEC, but out of a sense of self-preservation. They were displeased with Lippin, but they were also afraid of losing their jobs even more and they certainly didn't want to incur the wrath of the Emperor.

Military Affairs Minister Ignis Schmill Pao, Foreign Minister Lewis Maddock, and Director of Economy Ministry Edith Sommerville were so stressed that they can be seen frequenting a local bar in Runepolis together and drunk heavily. Lippin himself does not drink, but even if he were to join, they will just be going to shun him. If they knew that Lippin relieved his stress by spending what remained of his free time with his children and wife, they will become even more infuriated by now.

On one outing, Minister Schmill Pao talked drunkenly about the magic torpedo, a new weapon capable of sinking even powerful battleships, and compared it to their situation. He later lamented that Lippin's blunder had just 'torpedoed' his and their own careers, and ever since then, that phrase began to spread among the populace.

-----------------------

Tempestamens 20, 1614 Central Calendar, 06:00

Ministry of Ancient Sorcerous Empire Countermeasures

Robin was holding her head ever since she got out of the Director's office. Early in the morning, when everyone was still asleep, she had been summoned by her boss to meet with him in his office. It was then that Lippin informed her about the two-year deadline of the Heavenly Vessel development without any sugarcoating. After that tense atmosphere, her boss got up from his chair and bowed directly in front of her, apologizing profusely for the entire thing. Robin wasn't fully awake yet and was too stunned at her boss's actions, and it was after she got out of the air-conditioned office that it dawned upon her the ridiculousness of the situation.

'Two freaking years...!? Even with all the Ancient Ministry's capabilities, there is no way something like a Heavenly Vessel can be built in two years...! How could the Director thought that way... no way, could it be...?' Robin thought exasperatedly as she massaged her left temple.

It must be it. Meteos' inventions, which will normally take time to develop were completed within an extremely short time one after another. That must have given the Director an illusion that with enough resources and support, this new project can also be completed in a short time, and this must have made him think that two years is a reasonable enough time to develop the next generation Heavenly Vessel.

'But there is no way Meteos can be blamed for this—hell no, the Director is the one at fault for acting on his own...!'

As she continued to walk, Robin's stomach rumbled. She had been summoned so early in the morning that she barely had a chance to tidy up and get ready, let alone have breakfast. Contorting her face in discomfort, she dragged her feet for the Administrative Building's cafeteria.

---

In the cafeteria, a place where the employees come to eat during breaks, the many tables and chairs lined inside are still empty, but the stalls are already opened with personnel and the foods are already being cooked inside. As Robin walked into the large room, she can see beyond the large glass windows to her left that the morning sun is still hidden behind the eastern hills, yet its rays still cast a golden hue across the sky.

However, before Robin could admire the beautiful scenery across the window, her stomach continued to rumble in protest, reminding her that she needs to eat. She held her hungry stomach and quickened her steps to order a full breakfast from one of the stalls.