63

Li Ping had no idea his offenses had been exposed. Yuzhang Palace had been as usual lately. When he was brought into the hall, there wasn't a trace of fear on his face.

Meng Yuan saluted respectfully. "Noble monarch, he's here."

Li Ping broke away from the two bodyguards who were holding him and knelt down to salute. "Noble monarch."

"Do you know why I brought you here today?" Shen Yu's tone revealed neither happiness nor anger.

"Noble monarch, forgive me. This slave doesn't know." Li Ping kowtowed. "As far as this slave knows, I've never made any mistakes in the management of Yuzhang Palace. This slave has no idea why the noble monarch would arrest me."

"Is that so?" Shen Yu looked coldly at Li Ping, who was kneeling below him with no trace of remorse.

"Noble monarch, please tell this slave." Li Ping thought he hadn't done anything wrong. He didn't take Shen Yu's question seriously.

Shen Yu had never lost his temper in Yuzhang Palace, and he rarely intervened in the palace servants' business. Most of his attendants thought he was a kind person who was easy to talk to. Mu Xi, who served him closely, knew her young master's true character, but she wasn't the kind to go around talking nonsense.

Shen Yu didn't like to be closely waited on. Shang JunLin visited Yuzhang Palace often, and Meng Gonggong and Mu Xi were the ones who usually served in their room. Although Li Ping was the eunuch in charge of Yuzhang Palace, he hadn't spent much time with Shen Yu in person.

He knew so little about Shen Yu that he thought Shen Yu would be easy to fool.

"Meng Yuan, tell him why I arrested him, and tell all the attendants of Yuzhang Palace to come here and watch." Shen Yu supported his chin with one hand and looked on with no emotion whatsoever in his eyes.

Li Ping had finally begun to sense that something was wrong. When he looked around, he saw that almost all the people in Yuzhang Palace were here. If it was something small, they wouldn't go to such great lengths.

For some reason, Li Ping thought of a major event that happened when Shen Yu first entered the palace. Blood had flowed like a river, and everyone was scared senseless.

The only difference was that, back then, a group of servants was dealt with. Today, the only one on trial was himself.

He looked up at the young man sitting high in his formal seat. It was clearly the same face as always, but right now, the man possessed a murderous aura. In a trance, Li Ping had the feeling that it wasn't Noble Monarch Shen who sat above him, but His Majesty, who killed so decisively.

His heart sank little by little, and panic surged deep in his chest.

Meng Yuan's voice was the same as usual. He read out Li Ping's crimes one by one:

"On the eighth day of the twelfth month, the maid Xiao Cui was secretly taken to..."

As each charge was announced, Li Ping's face turned more and more ashen.

When he did those things in private, he thought it was a secret. The people he used were just some powerless palace maids who would never dare to say anything. After all, he was the eunuch in charge of Yuzhang Palace. He could do whatever he wanted.

Moreover, in order to curry favor with him, some palace people who knew what he liked sent women over on their own initiative. Li Ping never refused. When he was in a good mood, he promoted several people to work in Yuzhang Palace.

Shen Yu lowered his gaze, repressing the killing intent in his eyes. Fortunately, he found out about this early. Otherwise what would Yuzhang Palace become? How long would Li Ping indulge his selfish desires and oppress the other servants with his authority?