FERAL: chapter fifteen

I stared at Onyx as he slept beside me

I stared at Onyx as he slept beside me. I felt so bad for him. First he was a feral wolf, next he came here only to be confined to my house, then he had to deal with dad, the council, and the elders, and now that he's shifted, he's still seen as a threat.

Life just wasn't fair.

We still knew barely anything about him though. Part of me wondered if he had any living family. They probably missed him desperately. The fact that he wouldn't be able to remember them if he did have any family broke my heart.

"Gaius," Gray linked me. "I'm on my way to see Glassman, join me and one of the warriors will stay with Onyx."

I slowly peeled myself away from Onyx and changed while I waited for the warrior to come. If there was any hope in finding out just who Onyx was then maybe Glassman could help.

A knock on the door had me racing towards it. When I opened it, Everest stood in the doorway. He was the adopted brother of our head warrior-Moses.

"He's sleeping on the couch. If he wakes up, tell him I went to the store or something and will be back quickly," I told Everest and left before he could reply.

I didn't want Onyx to have to worry about more than he already was.

It was already the afternoon so most of the children weren't out running around like they usually were. Parents were being more careful now after everything that happened with Layne anyways.

When I asked Gray how she was, he said that she was still a little shaken up but was doing much better. Right now, her main concern was the scab that was on her leg from when she hurt it at the playground.

When I reached the cellar, Gray's lingering scent told me he was already inside. Unlocking the door, I made my way inside of it and past the warrior on guard. Near the end of the room, Glassman laid in a cell with Gray standing outside of it.

I walked over to them and Glassman's eyes met mine. They looked so lifeless and desperate.

"Kill me," he begged.

"Doctor Glassman, can you tell us why-" I tried but his wailing interrupted me.

"KILL ME!" He screamed banging his head against the ground.

"STOP!" Gray ordered him while I stared at him with wide eyes.

"They're gonna get me!" Doctor Glassman sobbed.

"Who are they?" I tried again.

"They're gonna kill me and then they're gonna kill you," he looked at me. "And take the feral you love so much. I tried to kill him when you first brought him to the pack but no, you wanted him to live!"

"Who's going to kill you, Glassman?" Gray tried again.

Doctor Glassman broke out into a fit of uncontrollable laughter. Tears streamed out of the corner of his eyes and he looked up at Gray.