FERAL: chapter eighteen

"Are you ready?" I called out to Onyx as I finished putting the suitcases in the car

The plan was to only go to the Solar Moon Pack for a day or two but we'd have to stop at a hotel for the night.

"I'm ready!" Onyx yelled back.

I closed the back door before making my way back into the house, helped him up and out the house. When Onyx was in the car, I made my way to the driver's seat at climbed in before driving to the border. When we got there, Councilman Steele was already waiting for us with an annoyed look.

"Finally," he growled out.

Pulling out my phone, I saw it was eight-thirty and raised an eyebrow.

"It's eight-thirty, we're not even late," I told him.

"If you show up on time, you're late," he rolled his eyes.

Biting back a insult, I gestured to the back of the car. The councilman raised an eyebrow and shook his head before looking at Onyx.

"Get in the back," he demanded.

Onyx frowned and I blinked at him. He's really demanding someone else to move when this isn't even his car?

"Onyx is fine, get in the back," I told him.

"Or you could get in the back and I'll drive. Last time I checked, I'm the one who will be deciding your mate's fate in the future," his eyes narrowed.

It was my car for one and is he really trying to blackmail us?

I opened my mouth to reply but Onyx placed a hand on my shoulder and offered me a smile.

"It's okay, I don't mind," he assured me.

Councilman Steele grinned at me smugly before walking around to the passenger seat and opened the door. I bit back a growl as he helped Onyx into the back seat and closed the door. He walked back and took the seat beside me before closing the door.

"Well? Let's go, we should get as close as possible before it gets dark."

Cordial, Gaius. Be cordial.

I looked back at Onyx through the mirror and he offered me smile. Taking a deep breath, I nodded stiffly before I began to drive in the direction of the Solar Moon Pack. This was going to be a long drive and the fact that I'd have to deal with the councilman also made me want to bang my head into the steering wheel, but I was doing this for Onyx.

If it was for Onyx, I'd persevere through it.

...

We had been driving for what felt like ages. The sun had already fallen, engulfing us in the darkness under the stars. Onyx was fast asleep and Councilman Steele had just woken up from his nap. After driving for hours, I could feel it finally taking a toll on me as I struggled to keep my eyes open.