Chapter ten ¹⁰ | Rugby match

"I bet Charlie and Milo are eating lunch with Nick again

"I bet Charlie and Milo are eating lunch with Nick again. They've been eating lunch with him a lot." Tao complained not liking how two of his friends weren't having lunch as often with him and Isaac.

"Honeymoon phase." Isaac simply responded.

"There's three of them, plus it's not like they're dating." Tao retorted but that only made Isaac fire back "Unless they are."

"I mean... Look at them. It's a bad idea to even walk near them, let alone actually befriend one of them. They're putting themselves in danger just because of Charlie's little unrequited crush, and Milo, our poor clueless Samoyed happily following to his doom." Tao rambled on as some of the year eleven rugby players started passing by.

"Oi, catch!" Harry yells out chucking the rugby ball straight at Tao who gets hit in the head with it causing most of the group to laugh around him. Nick being the only one who didn't laugh as they start walking off, Nick walks over to Tao and Isaac.

"You okay?" Nick asked, concerned.

"Yes." Tao answered bluntly, picking up the ball.

"Can I have the ball back?" Nick asked another question needing it back. Tao silently held it out but at the last second pulled it away from where Nick tried grabbing it.

"No, it's mine now." Tao responded causing Nick to stare before turning around to walk back to his group of friends and without thinking Tao threw the rugby ball at Nick's back.

Tao was expecting the worst when Nick turned back to look at him, though Nick didn't say anything picking up the ball from the ground and leaving. Tao watched with a clenched jaw at the person who was taking his best friends away from him.

• • • • • • •

The next week the Truham boys were on the bus to the other school not taking too long to get there as it was close by compared to other schools. Everyone got out of the bus one by one before making their way over to the schools track area, a proper sprint track coloured red, all already dressed in their official rugby uniforms.

To get into the groove and warm up Coach Singh had them doing laps around the track which excited Milo, he'd always wanted to be on a track team or something like that, on a track like this it was cool, but he didn't sprint as they were all jogging to warm up.

Nick, Charlie and Milo all close in the front, jogging together. Nick to the right, Charlie in the middle and Milo on the left.

"So, all our friends are showing up in a bit to watch us play." Charlie spoke for himself and Milo to Nick.

"All your guys friends?" Nick repeated Charlie's words in more of a question.

"Tao, Isaac and Elle." Milo answered, hearing Nick's curiosity in his voice.

"I've said they really didn't have to come but Elle said they wanted to be supportive." Charlie chimed in after Milo.

"Oh, that's... that's nice." Nick responded not really knowing what to say to that.