FERAL: chapter twenty-three

The car was moving quickly

The car was moving quickly. Ever since we left the Solar Moon Pack, Councilman Steele has driving like a maniac to get us back to the pack. He refused to stop or to turn around; his mission was to get us back to the pack.

No matter how much I cried, begged, or screamed, he refused to go back for Gaius.

Gaius.

Where was he?

Was he okay?

I wanted- no, I needed to find my mate. The longer he was missing, the bigger the possibility of something happening to him grew. The idea of something happening to him sent shivers down my spine and made me feel like crying all over again.

My hand gripped the car door as familiar sights passed by me. We were near the pack, but the only thing I was worried about was getting Gaius back. I glanced out the window and grimaced slightly; a jump at this speed would definitely cause some pain, but if it meant I could get back to Gaius then it was worth it.

The councilman's eyes met mine just as I pulled the car door open. I quickly pulled my seatbelt off and moved to jump just as the car pulled to an abrupt stop and jerked forward. With no time to take off his own seatbelt, Councilman Steele reached through the small crack between the driver's seat and car door and gripped the back of my shirt.

"Are you fucking crazy?!" He yells.

"Let me go!" I scream back. "I have to find Gaius!"

I didn't care what happened to me as long as Gaius was okay.

"And how do you plan to do that if you're fucking dead, dumbass?! Did you forget that you can't shift or are you just a fucking suicidal idiot! He let himself get captured to protect you and you just want to run right back to the enemy!"

I wanted to yell and cry at the same time. I had forgotten that I wouldn't heal like a normal wolf and the realization of this made me feel so...useless. It felt like I couldn't do anything to help Gaius no matter how hard I tried.

Councilman Steele slowly released my shirt and I made no move to run. With a sigh, he got out of the car and pushed me back inside before clicking a button on the side of the door and closing it.

"You're like a fucking child," he says with a scowl.

I ignore him and lean against the window as he straps himself back in and continues to drive. I wanted to cry but after I had done so multiple times, it felt like there were no more tears left inside of me.

When we reached the pack border, the warriors guarding inspected the car before allowing us to go in. Councilman Steele drove straight to Gray's office and parked the car before opening the back door and letting me out. Unlike Gaius, he didn't bother to help me move and let me walk on my own. When he reached the door and realized I wasn't behind him, he rolled his eyes before wrapping an arm around my waist and helped me.

"So fucking slow."

When we entered the building, he wasted no time making his way to the room where Gray's scent was the strongest. When we got there, he didn't bother knocking and pushed the door open. Gray sat at his desk with a man I hadn't seen before. When he saw us, he looked at the councilman with an annoyed expression.

"I'm busy right now," Gray tells him.

The councilman rolls his eyes. "This is more important."

Gray's eyes narrow. "If it's important then have Gaius-"

"It's about Gaius," I interrupt him. My voice his scratchy from all the yelling and for the first time since we arrived, Gray actually takes in our appearances.

The councilman doesn't look too bad, but me? I'm sure I looked a mess; my hair was disheveled, my hazel eyes were puffy from crying and my clothing was all messed up.

"Moses, please give us a minute," Gray dismisses the man. The moment Moses leaves, Gray turns to the councilman with a hard expression on his face.

"Councilman Steele," Gray starts. "Where's my beta?"

The two stare at each other and i'm sure Gray knows what has happened by now, but he needs to hear it. For the first time since we left Gaius, I notice just how tired the councilman looks. He'd been putting on a strong front before, but now it looked as if he would keel over at any moment.

Slowly, he made his way to the chairs across from Gray and let me go before taking his place into one of them. He looks up at Gray and lets out a sigh before he shakes his head.

"They got him."

Those three words cause Gray's usually stoic face to change. Anger fills his blue eyes and he quickly turns away from us. Standing up, he makes his way to the door but not before calling out to the councilman once more.

"Councilman Steele, I believe it's time for you to call the other councilors down while I gather up the elders and call around to the neighboring packs. It's time for a meeting," with that, he leaves the room and the councilman stands up before pulling out his phone and walking out behind him as he begins to dial numbers.

Still sitting in the chair, my hands clench into fists as I stare at a photo on Gray's desk. Gaius is there holding a baby with a smile on his face. My eyes close and I take a deep breath before opening them and shaking my head. I had to be strong for Gaius.

I stood up and slowly moved to the door to try and find Gray. I had to be at that meeting. When I finally reached it, I looked back at the photo one last time before opening the door.

Gaius, just hold on a little longer. We're coming for you, I promise.