FERAL: chapter twenty-four

Power radiates from the room

All the high ranking wolves are here. Councilors, betas, alphas, head warriors - they're all here because Gray called them. They're all here to help us find Gaius.

"Thank you all for showing up so suddenly," Gray started. "We have called you all here to a-"

"Let's just be honest, Alpha Gray," one of the older ladies began to talk. She clearly was an alpha. "You called us all here because you tried to play rescue for too long."

Gray blinked at her. "Excuse me, Alpha Marie?"

"You go around taking in these lost causes around your border and now one of them's finally brought you more trouble than it's worth and you can't deal with it alone," she snorted.

Gray's jaw clenched. "We shouldn't help those in need? Is that what you're saying, Alpha? If that's the case, I should've left your brother out there alone when he came begging for refuge, right?"

The two of them stared at each other with a glare before Alpha Marie scoffed and leaned back in her seat.

"We have called you all here to ask for your help," Luna Quinn took over for her mate.

"Help with what?" One of the councilors asked.

"We were recently visiting the Solar Moon Pack," Councilman Steele spoke up. "On the way back, we were ambushed and Beta Gaius was kidnapped."

"How did this happen?" Gamma Foster's brows furrowed.

"They managed to conceal their scents from us and attack him when he was alone."

Foster's lips form into a line and he turns to Gray. "This isn't the first time we've noticed scents disappearing. Remember what Beta Gaius said about Doctor Glassman?"

Gray frowned at that before he began to speak once again.

"We plan to locate our beta's whereabouts and then attack," he told the other alphas and councilors. "We are not sure of our enemy's numbers, but we do know they are powerful. The Dark Moon Pack is asking for you to lend us your strength and help us. This isn't just for our beta, there are most likely other wolves being tortured there as well."

Alpha Marie stands and her high ranking officials follow her. "I've heard enough. If you wish to play hero then do it on your own, the Silver Night Pack will have nothing to do with it."

What?

How could she just walk away like that?

"Do you have no heart?"

The question has Alpha Marie turning to me. "Excuse me?"

"Do you have no heart?" I repeat. "You were just told about wolves being tortured, but you refuse to help."

Her jaw clenches. "The Silver Night has no reason to help."

Gray lets out a dry laugh. "No reason? Who helped guard your borders when you were at war? Who helped keep your children safe? Who helped you gain the land you have today?"

The room is quiet for a minute before Alpha Marie opens the door and walks out. Gray shakes his head before turning to the rest of the alphas in the room.

"I admire your need to help these possible captives and I'm sorry about your missing beta, Alpha Gray," one of the other alphas begin to speak. "But, how are you so sure that you aren't being lied to or led into a trap? The Ruby Waters Pack cannot help you if it could cause more harm than good for us."

Gray nods in understanding before turning to face me. "I understand what you're saying, Alpha Mariano. I want you all to meet Onyx, Beta Gaius' mate."

Their attention turns to me and I fight back a shiver before raising a hand. "Hello, everyone," I greet.

"Onyx here showed up at our pack with blood red eyes, snarling, growling- completely feral," Gray explained. "Then the unbelievable happened; he shifted. We were able to check the missing wolf files and find out that Onyx is from the Solar Moon Pack which is why Councilman Steele, Gaius, and Onyx where down there in the beginning. I know that like myself, most of you were always taught to kill feral rogues; they were born monsters. If that's the case then why is Onyx here now, begging for your help to save his mate?"

The room falls silent and I stare at Gray with wide eyes for a few minutes before turning to face everyone else.

"I don't know why I was able to shift back," I tell them honestly. "What I do know is that I wasn't born feral. I was kidnapped from my family and because of whatever happened to me, I'm no longer able to shift, to feel my wolf, to remember my past," I see some of the people's eyes soften. "I didn't come here to make you feel bad for me, but think of the other wolves that they have in there - think of Gaius. Please, i'm begging you to help us."

I hold my breath as I wait for some kind of response.

"The Ruby Waters Pack will help," Alpha Mariano said.

"So will the White Moon Pack," another Alpha speaks up.

One after another, people begin to agree to help us and I feel a fraction of the weight inside of me being lifted. With more help, that brings us one step closer to getting Gaius back.

"Thank you all for your help," Gray says with one of his rare smiles. "Councilors, elders, can we count on your help also?"

"You may count on us," one of the elders says.

The council members eye me for a minute before one of them finally speaks up. "We will help you get your beta back, Alpha Gray, but he must stay away from this entirely."

A frown forms on my face and I look at the woman. "What do you mean?"

She ignores me and looks at Gray. "He is still going to have a trial and therefore he cannot be involved with this case, Alpha."

Gray nods and I feel my heart drop.

"I want to help Gaius," I tell them.

Quinn offers me a small smile and gestures me out of the room. When we're in the hall, she places a hand on my shoulder.

"Onyx, I know you want to help," she tells me. "But the best thing you can do to helo Gaius is focus on yourself. You can't do anything that can make the council dislike you more. Trust me when I say we will bring Gaius back."

Quinn stares at me and I nod weakly in reply. I know she's right, it won't do Gaius any good if i'm sentenced to death but it feels like i'm still just useless. Quinn goes back into the room and I take a deep breath before following her. When we walk in, Gray is talking to Moses.

"Moses, please increase pack training. We need everyone at their best when we attack. Councilors, please help us locate where Gaius may be. We have the name of his kidnapper."

Gray continues to talk to the others and gives out orders. I cough slightly and his attention turns to me.

"What do we do while we wait for the councilors to try and find the location?" I ask him.

Gray stares at me with a look if determination.

"We train and get ready to attack."