FERAL: chapter twenty-seven

"You've been awfully quiet today," Everest noted

"I'm missing, Gaius," I told him and it was true. I was missing my mate but that wasn't the reason why I was so quiet.

In reality, I was trying to scheme ways to help. I knew Gray would stop me before I managed to get to the border if I tried to leave now and even if I did make it, I didn't know how exactly I'd find Gaius.

Everest gave me a sympathetic look before he opened his mouth to probably give me some wannabe-motivational speech about how I had to be patient and we'd find him eventually. I was tried of hearing the same thing over and over from everyone.

"Onyx-" Everest starts to say, but he stops and his eyes gloss over.

He's linking someone.

Everest's face switches from sympathetic, to shocked, to worried, to excited. My brows knit together in confusion as I watch him.

"Are you okay?" I raise an eyebrow.

Everest looks over at me with the biggest grin I'd seen on his face since I've met him. He quickly grips my hand before he drags me through the pack.

"Everest?" I try to catch his attention but he seems to he in his own world and his smile grows bigger making him look like a creepy Cheshire cat.

"Everest!" I yell. "Where are we going?"

Everest stops walking and turns to me. Excitement shines within his eyes and his grip on my hand tightens.

"They found him," he finally tells me.

My heart stops and my eyes widen. "What?" I whisper, trying to make sure I heard him right.

"They found Gaius," he repeats.

I blink at him before our roles reverse and I'm the one dragging him around.

"Then why are we still standing here?!"

Everest laughs at that and the two of us quickly make our way to the office. My heart's pounding in my chest and hope fills. My mate is finally coming home; Gaius is coming home.

When we get there, Everest raises his hand to knock on the door but I push it open before he can do so. Gray sits in the room with people surrounding him. Most of them are the same as last time but the difference is the man sitting beside Councilman Steele. He has blonde hair, piercing green eyes, and pale skin.

"Onyx, thank you for knocking," Gray says sarcastically. "Sit down."

I take an open seat next to Gamma Foster while Everest sits beside his brother.

"You found him?" I immediately ask Gray.

Gray looks at me for a minute before nodding. "Yes, Vernon here managed to do so," he gestures to the green-eyed man.