Chapter Two: Unforgivable Curses

"Alastor Moody." The new DADA Professor introduced himself in front of the small classroom.

He picked up a piece of chalk before beginning to write on the chalkboard. He wrote his name before chucking the piece of chalk onto his table.

"Ex-Auror... Ministry malcontent... and your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. I am here because Dumbledore asked me. End of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?"

Y/N leaned his cheek on his palm, his arm resting on the table that he shared with none other than his best friend. Moody's fake eye kept darting all over the place, making the students quite uncomfortable. Y/N took a look at Hermione's face who's eyes were plastered onto their new odd-looking professor. She was as serious as usual in class, sitting straight up in contrast to Y/N's laid back position. Although Y/N had always been someone who chased after things he found interesting, recently he had been feeling more bored than usual. His true joy these days were being with Hermione. He wasn't sure if it was the perfume she always wore or the warmth she emitted but he always seemed to feel comfortable whenever she was around.

"When it comes to the Dark Arts..." The Professor began speaking once more.

"...I believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many Unforgivable Curses there are?"

"Three, sir." Hermione answered with slight hesitation.

Instead of her usual confident tone, Y/N heard her voice shake. The two of them had read all about the Unforgivable Curses which Y/N believed to be the reason why she was so shaken up about them.

"And they are so named?" He began to write on the board.

Y/N took Hermione's shaky hand into his, doing his best to comfort her without the need of words.

"Beca-"

"Because they're unforgivable." Y/N cut her off, refusing to let the woman he loved to answer something she was clearly uncomfortable with.

Y/N's eyes drifted to Hermione upon feeling her squeeze his hand as a silent thank you. He smiled gently at her before turning back to the teacher with a serious expression on his face.

"The use of any one of them will have you sent straight to Azkaban."

"Correct." Moody seemed to growl as he finished writing on the board.

"The Ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different! You need to know what you're up against! You need to feel prepared!"

Y/N and Hermione's hands remained together as Moody yelled through the class.

"You need to find another place to put your chewing gum besides the underside of your desk, Mr. Finnigan!" Moody exclaimed, his eyes locked onto the chalkboard.

"No way. The old codger can see out the back of his head." Seamus groaned.

Upon hearing, Moody instantly turned around before throwing the piece of chalk in his hand at Seamus.

"And hear across classrooms!" He yelled, adding to Seamus's comment.

"So which curse shall we see first? Weasley!"

"Yes?" Y/N turned his head towards Ron's shaky voice.

"Stand." Moody ordered him to which he hesitantly followed.

"Give us a curse."

"Well, my dad did tell me about one." Ron replied, a bit unsure.

"The Imperius Curse."

"Oh, yeah, your father would know all about that." Moody replied a bit sarcastically.

"Gave the Ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago. Perhaps this will show you why."