Chapter 47

Maddy was still pressed to the wall under the stairs, and she glared at Kai as he stepped back and continued. "I'm not sure you are aware or not that your little boyfriend was supposed to be placed with a foster family after his father died. He was deemed 'too young' to be taken care of by an eighteen year old." Maddy gave no expression that said she knew or didn't know this information.

"For some reason they decided to let him stay with his brothers. BUT there is a stipulation in his file that says his placement is under review every time he gets in trouble. That means, when he gets in trouble at school or by the law, they are required to review his placement with his brothers and consider foster care as an alternative." Maddy blinked a few times, Kai thought he might be getting through to her.

"So if, say, a person of authority like the County District Attorney were to suggest that Jungkook's current placement may not be best, he could be removed from his family and moved across the country to a foster family very easily. And before you get ideas, anyone running from a foster placement can be put in a Juvenile Detention facility." He looked for understanding in Maddy's eyes. "Do you understand what I'm saying to you?"

Maddy nodded and looked Kai in his eyes, "Why should I believe you? How would you know all of this?"

Kai chuckled a little but the confidence in his eyes told Maddy he wasn't lying. "I know people, important people, Dollface. Everything I've told you is true."

Maddy looked to the ground, trying to think, "I don't think he will get in trouble, so I think this conversation is irrelevant."

Kai chuckled again, this time at her naivete, "He doesn't necessarily need to get into trouble for his placement to be reviewed. If the DA raises a concern about his placement, that review could happen anytime. Do you want your boyfriend living five hundred kilometers away, Babydoll? Or are you willing to stop being a bitch and cooperate?" Maddy knew the District Attorney was Kai's father who was not above using his job to benefit his son.

Maddy was really frowning now. She prided herself on standing up to bullies and fighting for what was right. If it were her life on the line, or her future, she wouldn't give Kai a second thought. But now, faced with Jungkook's future in her hands, she knew what she had to do; anything and everything in her power to protect him. If she could save Jungkook from being separated from his brothers, she would have to do it.

"What do you want, Kai?" It hurt her heart to utter these words, and it was clear by her tone that they came out of her mouth reluctantly.

Kai smiled. Finally, the cooperation he was looking for. "Just what I've always wanted. We will go to the dance together next week. You will be my date. And everyone will see that I can get any girl I want, just like I always have."

Maddy closed her eyes. In the scheme of things, this wasn't so awful. One dance, she could do this. "Fine, is that all?"

Kai's smile got bigger, she was so much nicer to be around when she complied like this. "Well, I don't want people thinking I'm taking another guy's girlfriend to the dance so you need to break up with your boyfriend and you and I will date the full week before the dance. I want it to look real." 

Maddy's outrage broke through, "WHAT?! NO! No way!"

Kai had anticipated this reaction. He shook his head and pretended to look sad. "Tsk, tsk, tsk. Well that is too bad. It was your choice. Now I'm going to see how quickly I can get Jeon Jungkook moved to the furthest city in Korea from here. Who knows, he may do better with a foster family than he is doing here. You actually may be doing him a favor." Kai turned as if to leave.

The thought of Jungkook moving off, away from his six brothers, away from her, made Maddy feel ill. "Wait!" She grabbed Kai's arm. "Wait! Okay, fine. I agree." Her mouth said she agreed but her face said she was furious. She let go of his arm quickly like it was burning her skin.