Chapter 8: In TV Land

Cynthia rushes down the street, nearly face-planting on the pavement from slipping in her heels. She brushes past several other people who only give her side glances but nothing more. Eventually, she finds another place to hide... away from that Agnes woman.

Slipping into an alleyway, she inhales sharply and tries to get the awful feelings out of her body. Another round of cold shivers goes up to her spine and a nauseous feeling washed over her. Coupled with the fact that her powers have suddenly started to work again and she's an absolute mess. The wall that she was pressed against began to crack with the sheer power radiating from this freaked-out teen. That woman she'd met... something was wrong. Had she activated her powers?

Cynthia tries to breathe deeply and get herself under control. Natasha had been a big help in her early days with her relaxation and control. Since Cynthia initially spent a lot of time at S.H.I.E.L.D, Black Widow was one of the few people she trusted (despite Natasha's protests that she shouldn't) and the person that she'd go to for advice. While having no powers of her own, the assassin knew how to maintain control. Natasha especially considering her training at the "academy" knew various techniques to help relax or control oneself even when in extreme pain. The agent rightly assumed that controlling powerful abilities was very painful and did whatever she could to help the girl get through it. Tears began forming in Cynthia's eyes, she still missed Natasha a lot but was glad that she finally found peace.

Breathing in a regulated way, the pressure begins to fade little by little and the pain subsides to a manageable level. Once calm, the girl lets the tears fall.

"Thank you, Natasha," she whispers while smiling.

It takes a little longer before Cynthia can clear her head enough to act. Ignoring Agnes for the time being, she knows she needs to contact her team on the outside.

She uses her power to activate the earpiece. At first, it's just static. It takes a bit of adjusting to her powers to finally get a signal.

"Jimmy? Darcy? Are you there?"

...

"How's she doing?" Jimmy asks.

"How should I know? I don't have a visual on her in the show yet."

"Do you think she'd be cast as one of the main leads?"

"I mean, Monica's role is expanding so..." Darcy points out.

"Jimmy? Darcy? Are you there?" a voice crackles through the nearby receiver.

Jimmy practically falls out of his chair scrambling to get his earpiece unplugged and in his ear. He doesn't want any other agents to know what's happening and notify Hayward. Like Cynthia, he had little trust in the director and wanted to solve all of this without any weapons or harm to others.

"Cynthia...? Cynthia is that you?"

"Yeah, it's me."

Darcy puts hers in as well and sets it to their agreed-upon channel. The two sigh in relief that she's okay.

"Thank god you made it through," he says.

"It's good that you don't sound like Marcia Brady," Darcy jokes.

Jimmy shoots her a look, but Cynthia laughs, knowing that she needs it.

"What's it like on the other side?" the physicist asks. She grabs her notebook ready to gather information.

"Honestly... pretty normal," Cynthia admits. "Even though everyone is acting like sitcom characters and the town, cars and fashions have jumped back to the 1960s."

"How are the dresses?" Darcy grimaces at the standard expectation of the times and knowing what the teen would have to wear.

"The dresses are not bad, kind of cute if I could see the colour of it, but the heels..."