31: breathe

COMMENT & VOTE 🌻🌹

Jess

Twenty minutes. I've been running for twenty minutes. My earphones blasted with loud, upbeat music so loud that I couldn't even hear my rapid breathing. My eyes were trained on the awful, pale, yellow shade of the walls. I was doing some type of psychological cleanse--starting with the beginning of this long and treacherous road.

The YouTube videos I'd posted online starting when I was fourteen years old. That escalating to over two million subscribers, leading to my manager, Jane, who sought me out. I was almost seventeen when I was offered a record deal. They endorsed and publicized the hell out of me until I finally had an album out. A tour was in the works. They said I needed dancers, a tour manager, a vocal coach, hair stylist, makeup arist, health trainer, a photographer, a choreographer, and more.
* *
*
"There's no need to be nervous, Jessica. I know this is scary. I know this is all going so so fast, and you're doing absolutely perfect. It's all going to turn out well in the end. The beginning is always the hardest," Jane explained to me.

Hard? That's the understatement of the century.

"But right now, all you need to do is meet some people that will help us--you along the way, alright?"

I couldn't help but agree. Jane made things seem so simple and easy.

I nod my head. "Okay."

I follow her into a meeting room that I've been to hundreds of times it seemed this week. It was empty. Jane caught my confusion and explained it all.

"We're going to allow you to meet them one by one so it's not a huge hassle. Only six could make it today. Tomorrow, you can meet everyone else at rehearsals," she spoke calmly and attentively.

Rehearsals. Right.

I take a seat closest to the door while Jane goes out to bring the first person in. Turns out that it wasn't just one person, but two.

"Hello, my name is Meredith Stevens," the first woman says politely. I shake her hand and give her a smile. She was about my height with golden brown hair, pin straight with warm brown eyes. Her skin was clear and pale. She seemed to be about 30. She couldn't have been any older.

"I'm Caroline Graves. It's nice to meet you," the woman beside her says. I shake her hand as well. She was shorter than Meredith. She had brown hair in soft curls and hazel eyes that complimented with her darker skin tone. She looked the same age as Meredith.

"These two will be in charge of making you look even more beautiful for every photoshoot, performance, interview, etcetera," Jane added lightly.

"Not that you need it. You're absolutely gorgeous," Meredith said kindly.

I chatted with them both a little bit more, trying to get to know them in a short amount of time as best as I could, but Jane moved us along and said that there were more people waiting.

After twenty minutes, I'd met my health trainer, my vocal coach, and one dancer named, James, who was extremely hot and looked at me in a way that only told me that he liked me a little more intensely than a friend. But luckily he was just as nice as he was good looking.

"Okay, last person. Ready?" Jane asked. I nod my head, "yes", for the fifth time today and took in a breath.

I wasn't sure that was a good thing that I did because I nearly choked once a very tall figure walked in, hands behind his back. His dark hair was styled up above his forehead, revealing his insanely green eyes. His thin, reddish, pink lips looked incredibly soft, and I almost choked again once his tongue ran over his bottom lip. My gaze traveled down to his light blue flannel and dark skinny jeans.