Heartglass 28: The Culprit

AZALEA

It was dark and I was falling. I was sinking in a deep abyss. I was not even sure if this was already the end for me but I don't want to die. Not yet. I'm not done yet. I still want change. For myself. And this kingdom. I still want to fight and stop this generational curse.

Everything around me was cold. I was confused and lost of what was really going on until a warm hand reached out to me and brought me back to my senses. I suddenly felt my head spinning as my back laid on a soft mattress.

One of my fingers instinctively moved and reached for that comforting warmth. That warmth was spreading throughout my system, renewing my strength.

Despite being absolutely drained, I tried to push my eyes open.

Light slowly seeped in. My vision was hazy for the first few seconds until the white drapes of the canopy bed became clearer in my sight. I was in a lost state when a figure of a man suddenly blocked my sight. He peered down on me with worried deep blue eyes mixed with great relief.

"Lady Azalea? You're finally awake!" His voice was a little weary but I sensed his happiness. It was the Crown Prince—Prince Dion.

I opened my lips but I couldn't find my voice due to my already dry throat. How many days have passed? My memories were still foggy but I tried to recall the events before I passed out.

He noticed that I had difficulty in speaking so he turned to the water pitcher on my bedside table and poured water in a glass. He gently supported me to rest my head on the headboard as I drank from the glass of water he carefully placed upon my lips. I gulped water as if my life totally depends on it. A glass of water wasn't enough to satisfy my thirst but I didn't have enough energy to request another glass.

"Doctor Wright, she's awake. Can you please check and examine her?" he requested after taking the empty glass from me.

An old man wearing eyeglasses and a black coat approached me to check my pulse. He even checked my both eyes using a small flashlight.

He turned to the Crown Prince. "She's slowly recovering her health. Gladly, the antidote for the poison worked. Let her drink the concoction I prepared and diligently follow the prescription. She still needs to rest for the next two days. Provide foods that are easy to eat," he instructed.

Prince Dion nodded. "Thank you, Doctor Wright. I'm grateful for your service."

"No worries. Just call me again if there's a problem. I will take my leave now and I will leave some instructions to her handmaiden, Your Royal Highness."

"Be careful on your way."

Doctor Wright nodded and approached Yumi to leave some instructions.

I cleared my throat.

Poison?

A rush of events flashed in front of my eyes. I suddenly remembered what happened before I passed out. So I drank poison?

"W-who?" I asked. My voice still hoarse as my head turned to Prince Dion. I cleared my throat once again. I couldn't voice a complete sentence yet.

Prince Dion sighed. "Don't force yourself to speak. I already handled the matter. Lady Jaera was behind the poisoning," he explained. "She's already held in a prison cell. If you have questions for her, you can visit her once you finally regain your strength."

I slowly nodded despite the confusion. I did have several questions left in my head. "T-thank you."

Yumi approached us with a small silver bowl placed on a tray. "The medicine is already prepared, my lady. The doctor said you can now drink it. We are still preparing some soup and food," she said in a low and respectful voice. She looked at me with worried and red eyes. I also noticed the dark circles under her eyes. She probably stayed late to watch over me—to ensure my safety.