Interlude I: A Hostile Cockatrice?

Not everyone could achieve glory. The world could be brutal at times.

Right now, one group of police officers was about to learn that firsthand.

“You gotta be kidding me! I didn’t hear anything about that on the report! Argh!“

A Filipino adult man dressed in a police uniform was crying out in frustration. He was a veteran of the profession.

He had never achieved any particularly spectacular successes throughout his career, but it was rare for anyone to still be active at his age.

In the eyes of his peers, he was sober and solid.

He had just stepped into a large forest renowned both as one of the country’s premier philippine eagle sites and a protected wildlife sanctuary —the highest Mount Pinatubo.

The area was amid reforestation and pioneering efforts and, as such, was a popular place for local tourists to breathe the fresh air FOR FREE.

Beyond the accessible forest lay an untouched mountain range, though none had been mad enough to delve that deep unless you're authorized or want to get arrested.

Most tourists explored only the familiar fringes that will not disturb the thriving ecosystems on the entire mountain.

As for our old police officer, he had just received an order from his superior. He was the police captain of the group and their supervisor.

His task was to take investigate the anomalies in the restricted forest at the northeastern base of the mountain.

It should have been a simple job. At least that was what he had thought—and what his men had assumed, too. But now they were dashing through the dense foliage as fast as their feet could carry them.

Yes, they were being pursued. Their faces were wrought with fear and despair as they pushed farther in.

“C-Captain! Wh-what should we do about that?!” cried a shaken fresh-graduated police, too scared to stop running.

“There’s nothing we can do! Let’s just get out of this forest and report back to our station and superiors!”

The police captain yelled back at the top of their lungs, trying to hide the tremor in his voice.

“But surely not even our arms will be able to handle it?!”

The fresh graduates on their newest uniforms were too terrified to even call the thing by name. There was no disguising the dread in his voice.

“With enough tanks, the military will be able to do something at least!”
“But—”
“They can’t afford to let that thing run wild! Forget about nearby settlements, it could destroy a whole city!”

The police captain bellowed to his young men. But not even he was without fear.

Still, his courage, tempered by long years of experience, and his sense of duty to these novices overcame his dread. He had given his orders and instructed everyone to escape. But that was all he could do.

Grinding his teeth in frustration, the old police captain cried out the name of their dreaded pursuer—the name of the looming threats hanging over the skies in the entire Philippine archipelago.

“You’ve got to be joking me! Not a hostile bipedal dragon!”

The size of the two-story building and anyone would see a large winged ferocious chicken trying to eat her running worms.

“…!“

Until they heard a ringing sound of a man in the area and saw a line of large-wheel tanks. In the center amongst those tanks lies a big man holding a strange device that amplified his voice so anyone can hear him.

“Lay down, men! Lay down!“
“M-Major!?“

The police captain and co. lie flat on the ground immediately after hearing the order and cover their ears. Later, a series of strong reverberating echoes shooks the forest, and shockwaves shove the lying men a few meters away.

*BOOM!*
*BOOM!*
*BOOM!*

The strong impacts of these attacks came from the most powerful railguns ever created and were installed on these super-heavy tanks instead of traditional ones!

It is even said that the bullet can travel up to hundreds of kilometers underwater!

“Roar…?“

The huge dragon that got his wings injured because of guided missiles stopped in his tracks only to realize that his head separated from his body and his torso was obliterated to pieces!

His head falls down and without a chance to raise a yell, the life in his eyes vanished to oblivion and left a drop of tear which is unthinkable for such a species.

Later on, after the president left for the Iclylic Confederation, the topic of the miserable fate of the dragon became widespread on the media platforms whether the man-in-charge of the operation should be punished by the court or not as a famous group Philippine Animal Welfare Society files several complaints against them.

Until this now, it is still debated whether the dragon is considered an animal or a fantastical creature.

Following the incident, the senate immediately passed bills simply stating that the category 'fantastical creatures' must be eliminated at all costs if proven to be hostile to human lives, and contact with such huge-sized foreign species must have a permit unless one has authorized access.

During this time, somewhere in the PhilSecta Society, a teen girl in a lab suit jumped hilariously in delight as she exited her laboratory.

A picturesque image of black-silky hair, perfect figure, and rounded red eyes in the epitome of a beautiful innocent maiden that even Filipinos sometimes compared to the President

—is no other than... Lily Sagrada!

“Finally!… Finally!… Yes! Wahahaha!“