C h a p t e r 27

Chapter 27 : MadelynFriday, December 2nd, 2022

Friday, December 2nd, 2022

My head was pounding as my eyes squinted open slowly, blinking a few times as I adjusted to the unfamiliar environment around me. 

There was a lingering scent in the air that could only be described as something purely masculine, the bed I found myself in warm like a summer's day and soft enough to sink under my weight like a cushion of clouds. 

Tucked up to under my chin was the light brush of a comforter the shade of a darker, almost muted pink, smelling similarly to the sheets in the guest room I'd stayed in two nights ago, even though I was certain I'd never been in here before. 

This room as a whole was simply dark yet seemed like it physically contained the essence of a kind of rich allure, every quality to it tasting like power and feeling... feeling like me.

"Caleb?" I called out softly as I pushed myself to sit up ever so slightly, dizzied almost instantly and feeling like I was going to pass out from the movement alone.

I dropped my head back to rest it against the headboard as the awful sensation seemed to heighten almost instantly, just to be met with the gentle cushion of a hand cupping the base of my neck, the masculine smell from earlier increasing tenfold.

"I've got you, Mads." Caleb's voice soothed quietly as I felt him sit down beside me on the bed, my eyes squinting in the dark to realize that I wasn't even close to being alone.

Caleb's white-blond curls were a mess right now with dark shadows making his face look so much sharper than usual, peering over the bed to find Xavier and Alec on the ground, leaning with their backs against the frame and sporting the exact same tired look.

They were already moving to stand before I could ask what was going on, my gaze being drawn back to the man at my side while the other two moved to sit at the foot of the bed together.

"I don't feel too good." I groaned as I brought both of my hands up to rub my eyes, tucking my knees close to my chest as an unconscious attempt at comfort. With each second, the features of the room around me started to make less and less sense. 

Where the hell was I? 

Just as another wave of dizziness washed over me, it was suddenly accompanied by the awful memories of last night—of the branch that cut me and all of the events and words that occurred after the fact.

My eyes were still sore this morning from how hard I'd cried while I was damn near falling over in their kitchen, the embarrassment and regret I felt over it now likely plastered plainly across my face.

"I know, darling, it's from the medicine I gave you last night. The feeling will pass in a few minutes." Caleb assured as I felt his hand pass over my cheek, my body both falling into him and wanting to reject his touch due to how vulnerable I was right now.