07

Chapter Seven,

"Stop being a baby and do it already!" Mike yelled. "This is so disgusting. Is this necessary?" Max asked. To be honest it wasn't the best way to start the morning, looking for Dart in the school's dumpster.

"What the hell is going on?" Dustin asks once he finally shows up. "What do you think we're doing? Looking for Dart".

Without any warning, Lucas throws two garbage bags over and almost hits everyone. "Jesus!" Dustin yells before Lucas jumps out of the dumpster.

"Well, well, well. Look who finally decided to show up. After I drew the short straw. Real convenient".

"You stink," Max mocks and walks beside Dustin. "Hi, Max". She furrowed her brow at him before speaking again "hi?" she mumbled which sounded more like a question.

Dustin looks around "where's Will?"

"He'll be here" Mike assured before handing everyone sticks and everyone started the search for Dart. Jess looked up at Dustin. Instead of looking worried about Dart, he looked guilty.

After the bell rings the five drop their sticks and head inside the school. "I like your shirt by the way" Max mumbles after glancing at her shirt again which was a 'Smith's' t-shirt. "Do you like the Smiths?" Jess asks with a small smile.

"Not the biggest fan but I love some of their songs" she replies. Jess's cheeks turned pink and she felt her body warm-up. She tried to hide it by covering up her face and walking ahead of her into the classroom.

☆ ゜・ 。。・ ゜゜・ 。。・ ゜★

"All living things, from complex mammals to single-celled organisms, instinctively respond to danger. Expose a bacterium to a toxic chemical, and it will flee. Or deploy some other defence mechanism. Were very much the same. When we encounter danger, our hearts start pounding. Our palms start to sweat. These are the signs of the physical and emotional state we call fear".

The lunch bell rings and everyone quickly runs out of class. Jess waits for Dustin to put away his textbooks by his locker. "I know you have Dart". She wasn't sure if he had him or not, she thought if she confronted him then it would answer her question.

"What?" he asks before his face turns pale.

"It's pretty obvious, you were the first one in the bathroom and then Dart wasn't there. I don't remember him being able to open and close doors, so how could he leave?".

"Ok fine, I did find him and then I lied because Mike would just hurt him and we have this special bond".

"Are you serious? I was joking" she said with a small smirk and then sat down next to him. Dustin didn't say anything, he just glared. "I won't tell anyone but it's good to know I'm kinda smart" she snickered.

"You promise you won't tell anyone? Even Max" Dustin clarifies. "I promise".

☆ ゜・ 。。・ ゜゜・ 。。・ ゜★

Jess, Max, Lucas and Dustin sat on the front steps of the school as they waited for Mike and Will to leave the school. "What's all of that?" Jess asks Max who's holding a whole binder of papers. "I joined my math class when they were just finishing the unit. And my teacher still wants me to take the test next week so he gave me a bunch of worksheets and shit"

"That's bullshit, did he even teach anything?" Jess asked and she shook her head. "I can help. I mean math isn't my best subject but I can help you sometime this week at my house or something"