Chapter 5 The Twin Prodigies

April 16th, xx16

The first official week the new semester, their second Friday, at Beacon was coming to a close. The first years spent most of it being brought up to scratch, learning the basic behaviors of Grimm and learning Pre-Great War Politics during Grimm and Remnant Studies respectively.

It was Combat Studies that didn't bother with things like that. Glynda Goodwitch threw her students straight into One-on-One battles. Throughout the week, random students were chosen and forced to fight it out on the black steel arena, the rest of the class spectating from the stands above. And after a week of watching these Huntsmen and Huntresses in training duke it out, the Headmistress had to say. . . she was rather disappointed. . .

A vast majority of her students had trained to fight monsters, but were novices when it came to fighting another person. This led to rather disorganized and drawn out battles. At the very least, the inexperienced were careful while fighting an unknown variable. The few students who did know how to properly fight against an intelligent opponent, faced unintelligent opponents.

Yang Xiao-Long and Nora Valkyrie both ended their respective duels with a single blow. In the Viking's case. . . Jaune became very acquainted with Magnhild. For Blake Belladonna, she easily overwhelmed Sky Lark of Team CRDL without breaking a sweat or needing her semblance. And Pyrrha Nikos. . . her opponent forfeit before the fight even began, much to the Spartan's dismay.

Goodwitch hoped the few remaining students, who had yet to fight, had some promise.

———————————————————————

Holy white Glyphs formed a rhombus in the center of the rectangular arena, Weiss Schnee bouncing off them endlessly, Lie Ren ensnared in their center! The Ninja swayed back and forth, narrowly evading Weiss' strikes as she flew from glyph to glyph! Ren cartwheeled over another attempt to blitz him, the young man whirling as he predicted Weiss next move, the Heiress landing on the correct glyph! The Ninja opened fire, Storm Flower unleashing a storm of bullets as Weiss rushed Ren once more! A glyph appeared before her, shielding her from the bullets and forcing the Silent Ninja to backflip out of the way!

A second gylph appeared beneath Schnee, the young woman creating a line of them between her and Ren before she was propelled across it, becoming a blur of white for a moment and blitzing her opponent! The Ninja was flipped through the air, catching himself and landing on one knee as Weiss appeared behind him! Ren spun and parried a thrust of Myrtenaster, then punching with one of sickles, the whitette leaning aside and twirling to his right! Ren turned to face her as she rapidly swung her rapier, ending the five-hit combo with an upwards slash to knock his weapons up! The Heiress followed up with six quick thrusts of her blade, each hitting Ren's chest before she stabbed with a glyph boosting her momentum, sending the Ninja flying backwards!

Don't let up Weiss!

She gained a tick mark as she looked up to the stands, glaring at her partner!

Weiss: Quiet! I'm trying to focus!

Ruby: *frowns* I'm just cheering you on.

The White Heiress glanced back at her opponent only to see that he was gone. . . nowhere to be found. Lie Ren had activated his semblance, Invisibility. The whitette shut her eyes and reached out with her aura, only to feel nothing. . . and then she received a heavy strike to her face! Staggering back, Weiss grit her teeth as she was hit twice more before being carried off her feet by an upwards force! The girl backflipped into her heels, sliding along the metal floor.

Weiss: My aura couldn't sense him! And I couldn't hear him either. . .

The Silent Ninja had earned the name. His invisibility made him invisible to all six senses, aura included. . . Weiss took a deep breath and stabbed her rapier into the ground, a wave of glyphs moving out and covering the entire arena's floor as the revolving guard switched to Ice Dust. A number of glyphs began pulsing black. . . They were motion sensors! Ren realized it too late, a wall of ice surging towards him! The young man leaped out of its way, Weiss swapping to Fire Dust and swiping her rapier at the air! Streams of fire flew out and hit the Ninja in midair, exploding and blowing him off the arena!