Chapter Eight

Chiara POV

The house was quiet and besides myself and a few guards stationed around the house, the place was empty.

My father was busy at a grand opening and 'for my safety', he told me to stay home.

He and my mother were there and Oscar and Raf were busy with work. Matías was out with his girlfriend, and I had been left all alone.

It was around 8 in the evening now and no one was back.

Then, as I walked to the comfy sofa in the living room, balancing a plate with pizza and a cup of juice in one hand and the TV remote in the other, the doorbell rang.

The sound echoed in the main hall and I was confused- who was at the door?

The guards standing at the door were looking through the peephole to see who it was and informed me that it was my brother.

I said okay, and told them to leave it to me. I opened the door and greeted him, surprised to see it was Matías and his girlfriend.

"¿Qué estás haciendo aquí?" I questioned him, greeting his girlfriend with a kiss on the cheek.
[what are you doing here?]

"Her home situation is complicated, and I know Oscar and Raf are out today. They don't exactly understand." He explained, whispering the last part.

"I'll let you know when they're on the way so you have time to leave." I said, reassuring him that it was okay for him to bring his girlfriend here.

Their relationship was complicated and I knew that neither me nor my brothers would fully understand it, but when Matías was so affectionate with his girlfriend despite all the pain she had caused him, I knew that it was harder than it seemed to leave.

I went back to my seat on the sofa and let the pair go upstairs to his room, finally sitting down on the sofa in peace.

A few minutes had passed when suddenly, my phone began to ring, the sound coming from the coffee table in front of me.

I leaned forward and stretched to get my phone, answering the call and putting the phone to my ear as I continued to eat.
"Can I help?" I greeted, taking a bite of my pizza.

"Chiara, lock the doors now. I just got a message from some number with the address to our house and the brand from the gang that stole the drug shipments. I don't know how long it will be till they get there but-"

The doorbell rang, so I cut Oscar off.

"They're here now, get home quick. Alert Papa and I'll let Matías know, now go!" I shouted, hanging up on him.

I sent Matías a quick message, telling him to take his girlfriend and leave the house through the back door quickly.

I got up from my seat and lifted the couch pillow, finding the loose string I had put there months ago.

I pulled on it and opened a compartment in the sofa, getting out the gun and checking the mag to see if it was loaded.

I cocked the gun and took the safety off then walked to the door; the group of guards that had been stationed around the house had come to the main room after receiving the alert from my brother.

"Miss, your father isn't here. Our orders were to stay on standby until further instructions." One of them said, his gun out too.

"Well, I'm giving those further instructions. You're going to listen to me because we have no time; we don't have an ETA for my brother or father's arrival so we move and move fast. I'm not just standing around until they come in case-"