4: Mirkwood.

Y/n's pov

After school Mike and I had worked on homework together and by the time dinner was over, I was laying on my bed, staring at the ceiling.

"Y/n." Mike spoke up from the other side of the room.

"Michael." I sat up.

"Will could've cast protection last night, but he didn't. He cast fireball." Mike recalled.

"What are you thinking?" I asked, slightly confused.

"Well, he could've played it safe, but he didn't. He put himself in danger to help the party." Mike explained.

"Do you seriously want to go out in the rain to look for him after our mom and the chief of police deliberately told us not to?" I asked.

"...Yes." Mike said.

"Okay, cool, just checking." I shrugged, swinging my legs over the side of my bed and grabbing my backpack.

Mike smiled and picked up his walkie.

"Do you want to radio your boyfriend or should I?" He teased.

"For the millionth time, Mike, he's not my boyfriend." I glared at him, dropping my first aid kit into my bag. "But you can."

Mike snickered at my crush.

"Lucas, do you copy? It's Mike. Lucas? Over." He spoke into his supercom.

"Hey, it's Lucas." Lucas's voice rang out from the walkie.

"I know it's you. And say 'over' when you're done talking so I know you're done." Mike said. I rolled my eyes and smiled at their conversation.

"I'm done. Over." Lucas said blatantly, causing me to laugh.

"Oh hey, y/n." Lucas's voice lit up.

"I'm worried about Will." Mike said.

Lucas's sigh came through the walkie. "Yeah. This is crazy. Over."

"I was thinking..." Mike started. "Will could've cast protection last night, but he didn't. He cast fireball. Over." Mike told Lucas the exact thing he had told me.

"What's your point? Over."

"My point is...he could've played it safe, but he didn't. He put himself in danger to help the party. Over." Mike explained.

Lucas seemed to understand, because he spoke quickly after that.

"Meet me in ten. Over and out."

I shoved my own supercom into my bag as Mike called Dustin.

——

"Ah, man. This is it." Lucas broke the silence as we approached the barrier closing off the path where his bike was supposedly found.

We all came to a stop.

For a brief moment, the woods were lit up by lightning in the distance, as thunder bellowed across the sky.

Dustin looked up, his voice shaking.

"You guys feel that?"

Another rain drop fell, this time on my nose.
"Rain." I said, wiping it off my face.

"Maybe we should turn back." Dustin suggested, unsure of all of this.

"No Dustin, we need to investigate! Just stay on channel six, and don't do anything stupid." Mike insisted.

When we were deeper into the woods, we started to call for Will.

"WILL!"

"WILL!!"

"BYERS!"

"WILL! I'VE GOT YOUR X-MEN 134!!"

"I think we should turn back." Dustin muttered.

"Stop being a baby, Dustin!" Lucas snapped.

Here we go again.

"I'm just being realistic, Lucas!" Dustin snapped back.

"No, you're just being a big sissy!" Lucas yelled.

"Guys, shut up! We're supposed to be looking for Will, not fighting!" I yelled at them.

"Don't you think that Will disappeared because something bad happened to him?" Dustin asked. "And now we're walking defenceless towards whatever got him."

"Oh, come on, you're just saying that-" Lucas started.

"Guys, shut up." Mike said quickly.

"I'm just saying. Does that seem smart to you?" Dustin yelled over the rain.

"Shut up!" Mike said hastily, like he had heard something.

"Wait did you hear that?" I whispered, grabbing onto Lucas's jacket-clad arm.

We heard more rustling, so we turned to the side and pointed our flashlights in that direction.

There, standing in front of us, was a girl who looked around our age, with a shaved head, a soaking wet yellow t-shirt that went down to her knees and had a red stain near her neck that looked an awful lot like blood. She stood looking up at us, terrified.

Word count: 685