Chapter fifty-five

Layla

The journey to the Spire was calm and quiet. The view of the city was magnificent. Every skyscraper reflected the sun in an array of colours. Lakeintown has always been bright and colourful and being up in the sky enhanced these features even more. I'm lucky, I guess. Being able to view Lakeintown this way gives flying a sense of value. Also knowing that I didn't need to control my wings and flying ability smoothed the edge of my nerves.

People adore the Guardians and being with them has made me understand their love for them now. They view the Guardians as defenders, ones that battle the Mavlins, Fighters and any other threat that endangers the life of this city. We are relied upon to save them and we go above and beyond to do it by literally flying to get here. We are heroes.

As soon as my feet touch the ground, my ears are ringing. It sharpens into the sound of screaming and shouting but I cannot work out where it is coming from.

     "Hey!" I hear Jordan, the sounds of wails silence as he runs towards me. He's in his armour without his helmet on. "I called for everyone to meet us here. Did Baymin tell you about Mechon?"

     "Yeah, he can hack into angels"

     "We need to be careful." His tone is soft but it has a sense of warning under it. "I just did a quick lap of the city and I couldn't see Mechon but we still need to be alert" I stifle some laughter that rises from his simple statement. A quick lap of the city? That would take hours, days even if anyone thought to do it.

     "Do you like being that fast?" I ask him, curious. "Doing a quick lap of the city is such a long task and yet you just said it like you completed it in seconds"

     "Two minutes twenty actually" he winks, gleaming full of pride. "Not my personal best though"

     "What's your record?"

     "One minute twelve seconds. That was yesterday. I'm eager" he bounces on his feet with a bubbly enthusiasm. "Since you made me realise my speed, I can see green sparks and haze whenever I fight but I didn't know that I would be able to run this fast. I haven't stopped zipping about. I love it. I've melted three pairs of shoes so Zack invented these" he brings his foot up and taps his black trainers twice. "Well, I say invented these shoes, he invented an entire element. The soles are heat and abrasive resistant"

     "Wow, so it protects you from friction" I mutter quickly.

     "Yes, that's right" he smiles which makes his cheeks plump and his face rounder.

     "That's so cool."

     "Yeah, it is. These shoes have made me run faster and for longer"

     "So, are you only able to run that fast when you have activated you're in your armour?"

     "You are curious." He chuckles. "Ever thought that could be one of your characteristics?" his green eyes light up as he asks.

     "I think it is" I agree as I recall the monster mentioning it. It makes me wonder what else that vile beast knows. "What are your characteristics?"

     "Speed, luck and honesty" I smirk at the latter because he wasn't afraid to say his thoughts on Abbey. It should be brutal honesty instead. "Luck kinda helps me perform better in training too. I love winding Zack up with it" he laughs and multiple slaps of footsteps come from behind us.

Maylock, Abbey and Zack jog towards us in their armour. Everyone has their helmet on apart from Zack. At this sight, Jordan fumbles with his angel and tries to push it and activate his own helmet but because he is panicking, he isn't concentrating very well.

     "Jordan, Jordan, Jordan" Zack shakes his head. "Caught in the act yet again without your helmet on" he smirks. "Wonder what Maylock will say to that" he indicates over to him and waits for Maylock to say something.

A smirk is still plastered over Zack's face as his eyes twinkle in a mix of anticipation and comedy – a joke which Maylock isn't adding to since he still hasn't said anything.

     "Did you clear the Mavlins Zack or did they get scared away from the sight of your face?" Jordan speaks up, defiant of Zack's mocks.

     "Oh, you sod" he laughs and pushes Jordan who shoves him back just as hard.

They are suddenly brawling with hands on each other's shoulders as they fling around and grunt.

     "Hey! Enough!" Maylock angers, pressing his angel and his helmet dematerialises, showing a face of fury.

He gets in between Zack and Jordan, making his arms wide to break them further apart.

     "May I remind you of the duty you have to this city" at the rise of his voice, Jordan stops instantly.

     "Sorry" Jordan mutters and Maylock glares at Zack, waiting for him to apologise too which he soon does.

     "Bloody hell Zack" Maylock is furious. "You can act like a total idiot when we are at Miscellania, joke about whatever but you do not tarnish your reputation as a Guardian when you are stood in the city. I'm disappointed in you Jordan too."

     "And we are just going to leave Layla without a telling off?" Abbey states, putting a hand on her hip.

     "Layla didn't do anything. Don't start something that isn't there Abbey" Maylock presses his angel and his helmet folds out over his head.

Feeling obligated to match the others, I push and twist my own angel to get my armour to envelope around my body.

     "While you two were behaving like clowns, Baymin informed me of another threat"

     "Who?" Zack and Jordan both ask, their duty and responsibility to the city has been reorganised and put in priority.

     "Adicus"