Chapter 1

Bullets hit the trees near me as I weave through the forest at record speed. Branches whip at my face as I run into them, I hardly feel a thing from the adrenaline pumping through my veins. I'm desperate to escape my abuser.

I know he's somewhere behind me, stalking me through the night. I glance behind me, barely able to see his terrifying figure through the fog in the distance.

He won't ever let me escape, had I not stolen his gun and turned it on him earlier I would most definitely be dead right now.

My body collides with a tree as my barefoot slips out from underneath me. It steals my breath away from me as wounds I received hours prior re-open.

I don't give myself a chance to stop and recover, instead I throw myself forward almost instantly. My body screams at me, begging me to give in.

His voice echoes around me as he shouts into the empty forest. I twist my body around again, his shouts making me paranoid. My running slows down as I search desperately for his terrifying figure but he's nowhere to be seen.

Suddenly, gunshots pierce the silence once more, this time one of the bullets lodges itself into my arm.

A scream threatens to rip through my mouth, I slap my hand over my lips and manage to catch it just in time. If I had screamed, I'd be letting him know exactly where I was.

The pain is unbearable, I do my best to ignore it and push myself onward through the forest. I don't look back and I don't slow down this time.

The only noise I can hear now is my wild heart thumping in my ears. My arm throbs in sync, blood streaming down my arm. I can feel the blood loss affecting me, I grow hazier by the second.

I run for as long as I can with my consciousness deteriorating. My abuser has seemingly disappeared after shooting me. I don't trust the silence that comes with his disappearance though. I don't take it for granted either, learning my lesson the last time I slowed down.

I carry on through the bush the best I can, knowing that wherever I stop may just be my final resting place.

I have to get away and I'm willing to die trying. If that means bleeding out or being eaten by wolves then so be it, as long as it's not by his hands.

The only thing that reassures me right now is the bullet I put in his leg earlier. It gives me hope that he won't chase me forever, or very fast. I just need to outlast him.

The minutes drag on as I run, it feels like hours that I'm running. Not daring to look back once. I can feel my body slowly giving in, betraying my mind as it begs me to carry on.

I squeeze my eyes shut repetitively, trying to clear my vision. The blurry trees in front of me sway, making me bump into them. It slows me down considerably, not that my bleeding feet are going very fast now anyways.

Each time I bump into a tree, I find myself grabbing onto it to keep myself upright. I push myself from tree to tree like this, I'm sure I look like a zombie at this point with my blood-covered, stumbling body.

I reach for my next tree but my vision betrays me so instead I fall into it, grazing my face along the harsh bark. I freeze at that exact moment, hearing the familiar sound of a gun being cocked right behind me. I have to physically stop myself from crying out in frustration and fear, terrified that my abuser is directly behind me.

"Who are you and what are you doing here?" A deep voice growls from behind me, making me turn to look in the direction of the unfamiliar voice.

My eyes focus on the gun barrel inches away from my face. My heart lodges itself in my throat, I find it hard to accept that maybe this is it.

I move my gaze to the figure holding the gun, finding a massive blurry figure. I come to realize for a fact that whoever it is, it's not him.

"Please, just do it" I can barely whisper out as my vision starts to go dark in my peripherals. I'm grateful that at least it won't be him getting the satisfaction of putting me out of this world. I can die happy with that.

A small but sad smile grows on my face with the final thought before I finally let my world go dark before me.

~~~~

Authors note 💕

Please don't forget to give this chapter that pretty little star 💫 It makes all the difference and warms my heart everytime someone does.

This is the re-written version of chapter 1! Woo 🥳 I'll fix the first few chapters and then focus on finishing the rest of the story before editing everything else x