matilda

When Aurora woke up the next morning, she was greeted by hundreds of missed calls from her family. She didn't bother to check her messages, she already knew whom they were from and what they said.

She was in the upstairs bedroom, but Theo wasn't sleeping peacefully beside her.

Aurora heard chattering from downstairs, pans clanking, water running. She got out of bed and slipped into a robe – because it didn't sound like Theo was alone.

She rushed downstairs, and found a woman she recognized to be his mother in the kitchen with him. Wearing their aprons, they were cracking eggs and frying them, Aurora could hear the sizzling.

A smile painted on her face – Theo might not have as many people as she did, but one loving one was certainly enough for him.

Hearing her steps, Theo's mum looked up – her face lit with excitement when she saw Aurora.

"You must be Aurora!" she happily greeted. "My, my, you sure are beautiful."

"Mrs. Nott," Aurora smiled in response. She looked around the kitchen and asked, "Can I help?"

"Oh, heavens, no! Just sit back and relax, you've had quite a day," she declined. Aurora thought she was a very friendly and caring lady. "And please, call me Matilda."

Aurora caught Theo's eyes, and she saw him smile, his eyes moving between Aurora and his mother.

"Alright," Aurora nodded. "Thank you so much, Matilda. For letting me stay here and taking care of me. For letting your son take care of me."

She flashed her the warmest look a mother could give — the one that Lily always gave her and her brother. "Of course, Aurora," said Matilda. "You're family. My Theo boo loves you, so I love you."

Aurora excused herself and walked to the dining table, seating herself. Theo grabbed a glass of water and brought it to her as he too sat down beside her.

"What'd I tell you?" he wiggled his eyebrows, chin on his hand. "My mum's great."

Aurora took a gulp of water. "She is lovely," she commented. "Just like her son."

He smiled and took a deep breath. Theo knew that this must be difficult for Aurora. He pinched her cheek lightly to make her smile.

And she did, ever so slightly.

"You'll be okay, Rory," he reassured. "We'll take care of you."

"I know." Aurora looked down. "But it's scary, I've never been in this situation before — never been on bad terms with my family."

Theo took ahold of both her hands.

"Yeah, but guess what?" said Theo. "They love you. Sooner or later they'll come around."

"I'm the one who's sorry," he then apologized. "For making a mess like this."

"I guess it's a good mess," she shrugged. "I like being with you. And I love you, Theo. Even my dad told me once, well, when I was six, that love makes everything all okay."

He laughed. "I love you."

"But Theo boo, huh?" Aurora teased, quoting his mum.

Theo clicked his tongue and shook his head. "Don't even, Rory bear. Don't even."

Aurora opened her mouth to respond, but the sound of her phone's 'ding' interrupted her. She didn't even take a glance of it.

But Theo did.

"From dad. Your dad," he told her. "He said 'Please come home'."

Aurora tucked her hair behind both of her ears, her hand now on her forehead, eyes shut. "Ignore it."