14: The Serpent Underneath the Flower (3)

"What are you doing here?" Lu Baiyu demanded.

"What do you mean, master?" Fa Xiang asked. He glanced between him and Shu Yue as he took hesitant steps toward them, his features bewildered. "What's going on in here? Don't we have training? Where are the others?" He paused, frowning at Lu Baiyu. "Is it true that Claw of the Eternal Beast is a Scorpio Clan's martial art?"

"Foolish! Didn't you read the letter?" Lu Baiyu growled, answering none of his disciple's questions.

"What are you talking about, master? What letter?"

Lu Baiyu's brows furrowed in confusion. His eyes darted over to Shu Yue, who looked at him innocently. A ghost of a smile was touching her lips.

Realization passed across Lu Baiyu's face just before it hardened into anger. "Scheming bastard," he hissed through clenched teeth.

"Master," Fa Xiang said. "Did you really betray the clan?"

Lu Baiyu's jaw tightened as he looked at Fa Xiang. It was a long beat before he replied. "Yes."

Fa Xiang's face went pale, his eyes widened, then he looked down. He was silent for a moment before he lifted his head and stared at Lu Baiyu. There was a mixture of expressions on his face. Disappointment. Betrayal. Disbelief. When he spoke, his voice was barely audible, almost like a whisper.

"Why?"

"Let me ask you something, my dear disciple," Lu Baiyu said, regaining his composure. "Do you want to become stronger?"

"I-I do."

"Do you think you can become stronger if you're in a weak clan?"

When Fa Xiang didn't answer, Lu Baiyu continued. "I train you to become stronger so that you can catch up to the disciples of the twelve Zodiac Clans. With our clan's martial arts alone, do you think you can pass the trials and get into the military? If you're surrounded by stronger candidates, not a single official would even give you a second glance."

Fa Xiang lowered his head, letting the words sink in.

Shu Yue might detest Lu Baiyu for betraying the clan, but she had to agree with what he said. Ever since the fall of Ophiuchus, no disciples of the clan were successful in joining the army. They weren't strong enough to even survive during the trial. The majority of those who attempted the recruitment event ended up lying in their own blood. The once strongest clan became the weakest in the eyes of everyone.

"This is treason against the clan leader," Fa Xiang muttered. He gripped his sword tighter, his hands slightly trembling. "I don't want to get punished."

"You won't," Lu Baiyu assured him. "I can guarantee your safety. That's if you can keep quiet about this. But remember," he glanced at Shu Yue, and then back at Fa Xiang. "Now that you learned the Scorpio Clan's martial arts, I'm afraid they won't let you off the hook. You'll be accused of thievery by the Scorpio and treason by the Ophiuchus. But once you left Hou Xing Mountain and joined the Imperial Army, you'll be under the Scorpio's protection. The Ophiuchus clan leader can't lay a hand on you anymore."

Shu Yue stiffened, realization dawning. They had been trapped from the very beginning. It was a well-thought-out scheme. In this way, no one would dare to oppose for the fear of potential repercussions.

She kept her face expressionless as she looked at Lu Baiyu.

Threatening a disciple now? They must have offered him more than just a sword art manual.

"I only want what's best for you," Lu Baiyu cooed. "You want to become stronger, right? Think about this: not only will you enter the Imperial Army, but you'll also be part of the strongest clan. Have you realized how good that opportunity is? The Scorpio Clan possessed better and more powerful martial arts, so becoming one of them had great benefits. I'm sure you know who the Scorpio Clan is?"