The Soirée Of Lord-Raven Soir (Part 1)

I pushed Yanices' hand down, but not too firmly, because that'd just give her something to get bitchy about. Being gentle with servants was a good way to keep them unsure. Were you timid, were you kind, were they not being bitchy enough.

I'd grown up among servants. If there was one thing I knew, it was how dangerous a servant could be. And how useful even a wicked one could be. Yanice knew what she was doing, and she wanted to prove it everyone else. Deliah just did what Yanice told her to do.

"No," I told her. "Don't hide my scars."

"You shouldn't show them in public," she said.

"I'm not ashamed of them."

Her expression pinched. "The other guests will be uncomfortable seeing a woman with your flaws. They will wonder what misfortune befell you."

"Your silks do not hide the ones on your back either," Deliah added softly.

"Please consider wearing one of the other outfits you have," Yanice urged.

I debated it one final time, then shook my head. If I was Lady Theia because the Hippocamp said so, then my first public party as Lady Theia was going to be in Hippocamp attire. People could think whatever they wanted about it.

My choices were to either wear the gowns that had been given to me when I'd been a pet, or the items Ormiss had brought with him because I was (technically) Lady-Consort of the Hippocamp, or to go wearing not much at all. Of the three choices, wearing Hippocamp finery seemed the least worst option.

Yanice didn't hide her disgust as she presented me with a delicate silver chain. Deliah moved to lift my silks. I waved off the chain. "I'm not going to be adorned."

"We have had--"

"No," I cut her off. "I'm not being adorned for anyone tonight. I'm no one's pet."

She pursed her lips. "Be practical. The Lord-Regent isn't going to stay in Haven forever. Everyone is only going to humor you as Lady for as long as he's around to make them, and at best, they humor the Hippocamp to be polite. Not because anyone actually cares what they do under the waves."

I bristled.

But if she noticed, she didn't care. "Titles don't mean much when you don't have wealth and influence. It seems the Ambassadors are still well-disposed towards you, but your ambition is going to be your undoing. They are being diplomatic having Deliah and I here to suit Ormiss, while you have left their protection to flatter Ormiss. When Ormiss is gone--and he will be very far away and nearly impossible to contact--what allies will you have? Wear the chain. It will be expected should you need to be...strategic."

She was right, even if she was being a bitch about it: if I didn't go back to my consorts, I'd be vulnerable once Ormiss left. And Ormiss would leave. He'd have to, one day, because he'd have to go be King. If I refused to take back the others, without Ormiss and this masquerade of Lady Theia, I'd be exactly what Yanice said: a noble with a title and nothing else.

King without a Queen. Could he even ascend to the throne without me? Would his aunt let him?

I chewed on my lower lip. But the chain around my hips sounded so... like I was for sale. Or I'd been purchased.

But I was not taking my silks off so nobody would have to know I wasn't chained up like some cow led to sale. "No."

"Take it away," Yanice told Deliah. Then Yanice pursed her lips at me once more. "Don't get too high-headed, Lady Theia. You haven't escaped your past. Fairytales might tell you that the handsome lord falls in love with you and all is well, happily ever after, but it's not true. You are a low-born foundling nothing, and the only thing keeping you from being nothing again is men. I've seen many young maids get big heads because they were the flavor of fashion for a few months, but it always ended and never well. It will happen to you too when you overstay your welcome, or the next pretty thing comes along."