Thirty-Nine

[|]

Jackie's POV

I stepped into Clark's house and I saw a few untidy things laying around. I cleaned this house on Monday and it's a mess on Wednesday? I was almost about to go back before my taxi went too far but I signed up for this.

With a deep sigh, I dropped my bag on the floor and propped my hands on my hips, taking in the scattered living room. I heard noises coming from upstairs and I became alert as Clark had said he was coming home from the gym when I arrived.

I looked around for anything like a weapon which I did not find. Soon after, a tall guy appeared at the top of the stairs. He saw me and his eyes became wide. I stepped back when he rushed down the steps and stopped a few feet away.

"Who are you?"

I analyzed him slowly. He was blonde with a lean muscular build with tattoos running down his arms and around his neck. His brown eyes were narrowed suspiciously at me and a single eyebrow raised.

"I'm the cleaner," I said and he relaxed his body.

"Oh... Clark didn't tell me you were coming. Sorry about the mess though. We had a party here last night," he said and scratched the back of his head. "I'm Brian."

I nodded. "I'm Jackie."

We stood in an awkward silence before I pointed at my bag.

"I gotta go change and start cleaning," I said and went to my bag. I picked it up and rushed upstairs.

I looked over my shoulder as I made my way to the room I had used the last time I was here. When I got to it, I opened it and stepped in then locked the door. I was nervous to clean around him because of how exposing the cleaning outfit was and how I didn't know him that well.

A few minutes after convincing myself to start cleaning, I walked out of the room and went downstairs where I saw Brian watching a movie on the television. I snuck into the kitchen and started washing the dishes.

Some minutes later, I heard someone walk into the kitchen and I paused what I was doing to look over my shoulder.

"So, Jackie," Brian said. "Do you live around here?"

I wasn't interested in talking to him right now. I wasn't good at having conversations with people that I didn't know. I was about to reply to him when I heard the front door opening and closing. I sighed in relief when I heard Clark's voice.

"Oh, hey," Clark said, walking into the kitchen.

I turned around and smiled at him. He smiled back and glanced at Brian who was still staring at me.

"What are you doing here, Brian?" Clark asked. "I told you to leave her to do her work."

"Come on, man. Can't I say hi? I was bored and wanted us to talk, right Jackie?"

I shrugged. "I'm busy."

Brian scoffed and left the kitchen, to my greatest relief. Clark dropped his bag on the kitchen counter and walked over. He stopped in front of me and leaned on the sink where I stood.