Nineteen.

"So how's your arm?" Auden asked Emmie the next day. She was lying on her bed, painting her toenails while the two caught up on each others lives.

"It's good. It's extremely difficult to shower, but I'm managing."

"I'm sorry," Auden said, wiping some excess blue off of her toenail before it dripped onto her comforter.

"I'm just being a baby. What about you, how are you doing?"

Auden didn't answer for a moment and Emmie picked up on her small hesitation instantly.

"What's wrong Auden?"

"Nothing," Auden said quickly, but she knew it wasn't exactly true. "I'm just. . .I don't know actually."

"You don't know?" Emmie asked in disbelief.

"It's just—Jimin," Auden finally admitted.

"Just Jimin?" Emmie asked. "Okay, now you have to tell me."

"I just learned some things that are happening with his family, and it's sort of heavy stuff."

"I'm guessing you can't tell me."

Auden stayed silent and Emmie sighed. "Is this family stuff what's keeping him from writing?"

"Yeah," Auden said, "I think so."

"At least you know why he can't write now. And why he was so difficult when you first met him."

"Yeah, you were right that it isn't like him to act so rude. It most definitely had to be family stuff. Because lately I've noticed a softer side to him, and also when I watch videos of him, he's very kind. So I think he must've just been trying to cope with what's happening to him right now."

"Wait, what did you just say?"

"That he's not as awful as I thought he was—"

"No, the part about you watching videos of him. Oh my gosh, Auden, are you turning into a fangirl?"

"What! No!" Auden said, now aggressively blowing on her nails. "For the last time, I'm not a fangirl."

"Oh you are so fangirling over him!" Emmie squealed. "You can't watch videos of Park Jimin and not fangirl."

"Emmie, I've been doing research for the songs."

"Right, research," she said, obviously not believing her.

Auden hated that she felt like she had to defend herself. But she couldn't ignore the small presence of guilt in her chest.

He'd sent her a picture that day of his new hair after he'd washed it and Auden couldn't deny that she'd glanced at it once or twice.

Okay maybe three times.

Auden took the phone from her ear, keeping Emmie on speaker as she tapped her message icon again. The image of him popped up on her screen for the fourth time that day.