Chapter 1

Amara sat dejectedly in the very last seat under the tent for the graduates. She let her eyes wander ahead of her as she stared into vacuum, her head spinning. Her depressed expression clashed miserably with her light but pretty make-up and the gorgeous but simple purple off-shoulder knee-length dress.

Ideally, she should be with the others, finally celebrating their college graduation but instead, there she sat, fighting back the tears which elatedly stung her eyes. Amara was doing a great job at it though, until a persistent tear finally managed to trail down her absent-minded face.

She wiped it away with the speed of light when the realization had dawned on her. She then sighed shakily and placed her head in her hands. Why is my life so damn unfair? she asked no one in particular telepathically.

She knew this would happen and had long psyched her mind in preparation, but the reality had caught her off guard. How could not even a single one of them come?

Suddenly, she felt someone gently tap her shoulder. She looked up and her heart was instantly warmed at the sight of Allison Cooper, her best friend, taking a seat beside her with a loving smile. Allison hugged her and rubbed her shoulder.

"C'mon Mara. Where is my fighter? I personally think it's better that they didn't come. Their presence would've been so toxic and would've ruined the whole thing. Don't you think so?", she asked in a motherly tone.

Amara nodded. She was taking this too much to heart. She hated them and reminded herself of that fact. They've hurt her so much already and she was even surprised that she wasn't yet immune to their heartlessness.

"It's getting late. Come, lemme take you home", Allison offered. Amara looked at her with grateful eyes and nodded. Allison then stood up with Amara, who picked up her graduation robe and black purse which matched her black suede stilettos. They linked their arms as they walked to Allison's sleek black Peugeot.

Allison made the ride quite pleasant.
She played upbeat tunes on the car's sound system. She and Amara chatted extensively, joked and laughed. Amara had finally managed to relax and allowed herself to become lightheaded. But that didn't last long as the twenty-minute drive finally came to an end and Allison pulled up in front of Amara's house.

Amara in turn stared at the two storey building. It had beautiful flower gardens and was painted a peachy shade and white. All-in-all it looked so cozy, but Amara hated it with all her being as well as the monsters she was under no obligation to call family at this point.

"Thanks Al. For everything. I owe you one. I'll text you", Amara said as she got out of the car and closed the car door. "Girl, you owe me like ten", Allison responded sassily causing them both to laugh. "Bye", they both said and waved each other as Allison drove off.

Amara watched on as her best friend's car sped off and disappeared as she took a left turn around the block. She then sighed as she turned to face her house, a simple euphemism for a prison. She then began to walk to it. She glared down the building as if it was her worst enemy as she walked, slowly and confidently.

With gritted teeth, she turned the doorknob.