Yep, They Started Wondering!

I woke up the next morning feeling good, very good.

I had saved a man's life last night! I had stopped a gang of Aryans from harming an innocent man! 

Yeah, I felt kind of great!

I woke up, did my exercises and combat practice, went for a run, then prepared myself some breakfast.

I was just sitting down, ready to take my time and enjoy my poached eggs on sourdough, when I heard the doorbell ring.

I froze, my cup of coffee halfway to my mouth as the cheerful tone sounded through the house.

Oh......crap.

*Now, I wonder who that could be.* Becky's snide voice sounded in my head.

"Shut up."

*I told you....."

"Becky, shut up.....now."

It still amazed me how a being that had no actual voice could make such a miffed little "humph" sound in my head.

I rose from the table, dressed in my shorts and an athletic t-shirt, and made my way to the door.

Was I surprised to see the lovely Detective Juarez standing there, looking professional and ready to talk?

Not for one moment.

"Good Morning, Mr. Shane." The curve of her lips was professionally warm, and inquisitive, as she looked up at me with those wonderful warm eyes of hers. Boy, could a man get lost in those eyes easy!

*Jonathan...*

Yeah, yeah, I know; focus. For all intents and purposes, she is the enemy. 

I smiled, trying to match her smile with a warm, but professional one of my own. Then, gesturing to my living room, seen through the door, I invited her in.

She accepted my invitation, and a cup of coffee; Hawaiian Blue Mountain. The moment I sat down across the table from her, however, the questions began.

"Are you aware of anything out of the ordinary last night, Mr. Shane?"

I did my best to look innocent and confused; with slightly raised eyes, and furrowed brow as I pretended to consider what she said, even slowly taking a sip of coffee as I pondered her question. I did everything I could think of to seem like I was really thinking about what Detective Juarez had asked me.

"No.....I don't think so." I shrugged, giving her a slight upward tilt of the left corner of my mouth. "I tend to go to sleep fairly early. I'm an early riser for my fitness regime, so I am not one to stay up late by any stretch of the imagination."

She set her cup down, paused, then looked me in the eyes.

"And you say you were in bed all night, with no interruptions?"

I nodded, trying to remain, and appear calm but confused by the question.

"That is correct, yes."

She nodded, picking up her cup to take a sip, then leaning back, regarding me with eyes that made me feel like I did when my mother caught me doing something wrong and was just waiting for me to admit it.

I hated that feeling.

"Well, that is interesting, Mr. Shane. You see, I have a witness who reports that there were two SUVs parked in your driveway at 2 a.m. this morning, and no less than six, as he put it, "bad looking," men left those vehicles and entered your house."

Now I genuinely looked surprised. Who could have seen all of that? My house sat on a bit of a cliff overlooking the beach, was the last house on the street, and the nearest neighbour was at least a third of a mile away. How could there have been a witness at 2 a.m.?!