48. i'd still choose you

song:
poison & wine - the civil wars

"Oh my god, just text him!" I should have known better than to share a booth with Rose

"Oh my god, just text him!" I should have known better than to share a booth with Rose. She tried to snatch it out of my hands the second she saw that cursor hovering over the empty text window.

"Rose! Stop! No! Knock it off!" I had a death grip on my phone while she tried to rip it from my hands.

"You are being ridiculous. Give me the phone. I'll do it for you! I'll get it over with!"

"She's right, Ash. Just text him." Sebastian strode in with a plate of bagels covered in various toppings and sat down across from us in the empty cafe.

"Not you, too! Someone has to be on my side." I pleaded with him as I yanked my phone free from Rose and shoved it under my ass so she couldn't get it.

"No! Your side is fucking stupid and stubborn." Sebastian laughed while Rose continued, "You've been staring at your phone non-stop for a week, babe. Just text him. Stop torturing yourself and just go be gross and in love."

I started stammering, the word love sent my mouth into overdrive. "Well we're not- I mean, we have so many issues, there's no way that I actually-"

Rose smacked my hand away from the bagels and glared at me. "Are you trying to tell us that you don't love him right now? Is that what you're doing? Are you fucking kidding me?" Her bagel balanced so delicately in her fingers, I was scared to piss her off because I knew she'd drop that beautiful breakfast.

"Well, I- I mean, I'll always love him, but-"

There it went. Luckily she threw it back down on the plate when she stood up. "Get out of here before I smack you. You are being so stupid and I'm going to bash your stupid, beautiful head into this table if you don't get your juicy ass out of this building." She stood there pointing at the door while Bash ate his bagel completely unphased

"Rose!"

She slapped the table and pointed at the door again. "Go!"

I rolled my eyes with an exaggerated sigh and stomped my way out of the cafe, flipped her a pretty, pink-painted finger, and stuck my tongue out while Bash shook his head at us and laughed. The air was dense, it was humid and the clouds were moving quickly overhead. It looked like we were due for a springtime storm in the near future.

I picked up a bag of groceries on the way home that mostly consisted of cereal, pizza rolls, and meals I could microwave. Of all the things that I missed about Harry, his cooking was definitely in the top five. I didn't realize how much I loved watching him in my kitchen, or how it felt to come home and have my apartment smelling delicious.

It amazed me how the same man that made me feel so safe and cherished, also made me feel so small and unstable. How could one man use his mouth to make me feel worshiped, drunk on his every word, and then turn around and use that mouth to poison me? How was that possible? To be both cruel and comforting at the same time just seemed like a joke from the universe.