Fifteenth Person

December 25

Johan Republic, Juperia Continent

On this day, the Japanese delegation to the territory of the Crossnellyard Empire and the Margraviate of Zittold left the village of Luccaesse in the Atelica Empire, crossed the Shantou Mountains, and finally entered the Johan Republic. After lunch and rest in the city of Glenom, which they passed through on the way, the group crossed the river that crosses the city and departed again, entering a region of grasslands and forests as far as the eye can see. This country crosses the equator of the planet Terralus, and there are areas of tropical rainforest in the interior of the country. The group was on the road close to the coast, where a subtropical lowland climate prevails.

"It's idyllic!"

One of the delegation's escorts, Master Sergeant Koji Nunokawa, looked out the passenger window of the Type 73 medium truck. There were fields all around. Next to him, Sergeant First Class Kenichi Obata is at the wheel.

"...Hm?"

At that moment, Nunokawa spotted something strange beyond the window. It was approaching from the left front, gradually getting larger and larger, and was approaching toward the street they were driving on.

"What's that?"

Obata also noticed the moving silhouette.

"Probably a human...?"

Nunokawa said and looked through binoculars to see what the approaching object was.

"...!"

"...What did you see?"

Obata, at the wheel, asked Nunokawa, who looked surprised and said nothing.

"...It's a girl."

"?"

Through the binoculars, he saw a girl running frantically across the grassy field, not even bothering to mind the costume she was wearing.

"What the heck happening?"

Nunokawa looked through the binoculars again. Immediately after that, he spotted a cloud of dust rising up behind the girl.

"...!"

Knowing the reason for the girl's frantic running, he turned to the delegation members in the back of the truck behind the driver's seat to let them know what is happening.

"A group of armed men approaching from 10 o'clock ahead! From their appearance, we think they are some kind of bandits!"

"What!?"

Tension ran high among the delegation members when they heard Nunokawa's report. While the SDF personnel and the Imperial Guards prepared for battle in case of emergency, Nunokawa delivered a further report.

"They are not after us! One girl was spotted fleeing ahead of the bandits!"

"!!"

Hearing the news, the delegation members were again astonished. The speed of a man and a horse's foot are different. The distance between the girl and the bandit was surely closing.

"What shall we do? We could continue to pass through, but..."

"Ugh..."

Obata asked. The mission was faced with an unexpected situation. Under normal circumstances, they would have been willing to go to the rescue, but now they were in a situation where they were in charge of the crown prince of another country. They must not put Sareed's life in danger by any chance. However, they could not let the girl die.