Chapter 16

*PAST*

After graduating high school, she moved out. At that point, they were no different from other couples. After they had graduated, there was no need to be conscious of other people's gazes. They held hands as they walked together. They'd eat delicious food with the money they earned from part-time jobs. They attended different universities, but they'd visit each other's campuses to study for tests.

jungkook was so incredibly popular that whenever she visited his campus, she'd feel the intense gazes of the other students there. But other than that, they enjoyed a common, everyday relationship.

Things began to change a little when jungkook was discharged from his military service and began to properly pursue a life as a celebrity. He'd begun to receive bigger and bigger roles, and his domain as a celebrity began to broaden. More and more people would begin to recognize him in the streets.

At first, it was fun. Watching him achieve his dreams made her feel so happy. As if her own dreams were coming true. She wanted him to be successful, and she'd rewatch his programs over and over again. Jungkook would bashfully cover his face with his large hand as he mumbled, 'Why are you watching something like that so early in the morning?' lisa liked seeing this side of him as well.

His embarrassed face, the red tips of his ears, his large hand covering his eyes. But his lips were still stretched into a proud smile. This image of him was so beautiful in her eyes. lisa wished she could stop time as she gazed at him. Their lives were full of ups and downs, but whenever she saw him, she felt as if the day had grown sunny and bright. But this was before she found out that her existence was a hindrance to his success.

"I'm so sorry to say this, but please make the wise decision for his sake, lisa-ssi."

Jungkook's manager asked to see her secretly. He spoke with a sorry expression on his face. He nervously rubbed his hands together.

"It's not easy for me to say this either, but the CEO found out about you and jungkook. The CEO said that he'd give jungkook better roles and better opportunities if he broke up with you, but... jungkook is being stubborn."

"......"

"You know how it is. You're a model, too, so you know how the celebrity world is. If people find out that a newly debuted male actor has a lover, who would like him? That would be fatal to his career. So... Do you know what I'm saying?"

The manager seemed apologetic for having to say something like this. He continued to ramble on afterwards. Every time he did, lisa felt as if she were being pushed back.

'I'll leave it in your hands.' With that, the manager was finished. Lisa felt as if she were an impurity in jungkook's otherwise faultless life.

When lisa didn't say anything, the manager avoided her eyes and shortly left. Left alone, lisa's head was blank.

She wanted to see his dream come true, but in order to do that, she'd have to leave him. Maybe it was because it was such a contradiction, but not a single tear fell from lisa's eyes. She felt numb.

lisa remained sitting with a blank expression on her face. When the part-timer came up to her to inform her that the cafe was closing, lisa finally mustered the strength to get up.

That night, jungkook pounded on her door so fiercely that he almost broke it. When she opened the door, jungkook looked very angry. 'I heard you met with my manager-hyung.'

He was panting for breath as if he'd run all the way over here. She didn't know how he found out, but because it seemed that he already knew, she couldn't hide it.