Chapter 66

"I don't know what's
wrong with me."

Allison, Jade and Isaac jumped out of the car, just as Scott pulled his motorbike up beside them. They'd made a lucky escape from Rafael and the cops. All they had to do was pray that there wouldn't be any repercussions from it. Technically speaking, they hadn't broken any laws. At least they hoped they hadn't. It would be fine. What was the worst that could happen? Noah using his sheriff skills to get them out of it?

"I didn't know what to say to him. I couldn't come up with anything. But what you did, that was awesome!" Scott exclaimed, eyes glossed with admiration as he jumped about, adrenaline running through his veins.

"Jade sure had a lot to say," Isaac muttered proudly. He pulled out his phone, checking his messages again. "I still haven't got anything from Stiles. You?"

Jade pulled out her phone too, shaking her head. No new messages. The plan was for Stiles to meet them here, to help them find the Nemeton. Then, Scott was going to meet Deucalion. Of course, they couldn't be surprised by him not being here yet. When did their plans ever go right?

"All right. Well, we can't wait for him. Come on," Isaac said, leading the way. They followed him, walking quietly through the forest for a while. The occasional owls hooting and branches snapping reminded them that they weren't alone out here. They finally stopped where they could see the lights of the whole town. It was beautiful.

"Cutting it fine, aren't we Scott?" Deucalion asked, emerging from the woods. His cane rustled along the floor as he walked, guiding him to the group of teenagers.

"Got a little delayed. Where are the others?" Scott replied, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"Occupying themselves with other pursuits."

"So it's just you and me against her?"

"I think you'll be surprised what a good team we make."

Scott turned to the others, trying to keep his calm persona in place. "Find Stiles and then get to the root cellar, okay? We'll keep Jennifer away long enough for you to get them out of there."

"Well, how are you going to do that?" Allison crossed her arms, a brow raised.

"I have a plan."

The group began to walk away, but the two girls stopped when they noticed Isaac wasn't following them. Glancing back, they saw the two teens whispering to each other. Scott was holding onto Isaac's wrist, harshly yet softly at the same time, probably giving some big speech on being careful.

"Are they together?" Allison asked, a smirk playing on her lips. Even if Scott wasn't with her, she was happy if he was happy.

"No clue. Looks like they have a thing for each other though, doesn't it?" Jade smiled softly, glad that she wasn't the only one noticing it now. She finally had someone to bet on his love life with! He could deny it as much as he wanted, but she knew Scott liked him.

Isaac finally rejoined them as Scott walked off with the Alpha. They decided they'd leave their teasing till later; there was more pressing matters at hand.

The wind started to pick up as the moon made an appearance, shining down on them and being their only source of light.

"Are you sure we're going the right way?" Isaac questioned for the fifth time. Jade rolled her eyes while clenching her fists, prepared to actually have a meltdown if he asked again.

"I know we're near it," Allison replied, her tone slightly snappy as she was starting to become more restless too. "Do you think you can pick up a scent?"