Forty-Two

[|]

Jackie's POV

A new week had begun and I had barely spoken to Lucas because he was barely around the house. When I came back from work, he was not around and in the middle of the night, he would sneak in and out. One night when I had come back from work, I saw him getting into the passenger seat of a black sports car. Since then, I saw him in the same place. Not even a text or call from him got to me. It left me worried for him and thinking about him a lot.

Now, I was at work, sitting on the stool I was supposed to be used to clean the cobwebs high up the ceiling. I was lost in thought that I didn't hear the door opening until it slammed close, scaring me.

I sat up and turned my body to face the door. Clark was at the door, hunched over, trying to get his shoe off. I noticed how he staggered a little and I went up to him. He stood at his full height and I saw how disheveled his hair was and irritated his eyes were.

I sniffed the air and got the strong scent of alcohol. I stepped back and exhaled through my nose harshly.

"Hey, Jackie." His words were slurred.

"Hi... I didn't expect you to be home," I said. Clark had not been around anytime I came to clean and luckily I had a spare key to use because the last thing I wanted was to get fired for not cleaning the house when I was supposed to.

"Yeah," he said and walked past me to the living room where he sat on a couch with a loud groan. "I hate my life!"

He was drunk and I wasn't fully interested in having a drunk person confide in me. But when I saw he was slipping off the leather couch, I rushed to him and pushed him back on the couch, in the process of pushing his heavy body, I landed halfway on him and he wrapped his arm around my waist. I gasped and tried to move away but he held me tighter.

"Stay," he said with his eyes closed.

I looked around us, in case anyone was around because what we were doing was inappropriate especially when he was dating my best friend.

"Let me go, Clark," I said and he shook his head them opened his eyes.

"Do I disgust you too?"

I blinked. "Huh?"

"Yes, do I disgust you too? Because... Because my girlfriend says I disgust her," Clark said in a cracked voice.

I eyed his sullen face for some seconds before looking away in my thoughts. The last time we spoke, Clark had tried to tell me something about their relationship and now he was talking like he was heartbroken.

"I try to please her; with my money, my gifts, my skill in bed... She still doesn't get satisfied. I don't know what I am supposed to do. Today she's in all over me and the next she's cold."

I felt bad for him. I could see how sad he was from the way his tone was set and how he stared with soberness in his eyes.

"I'm sorry about that," I whispered and he looked into my eyes. "Maddy is a nice person, I know that but maybe she's going through some things right now and doesn't want you around her. Maddy doesn't know how to express herself sometimes. But I'm sure you two will be fine before school resumes this year."

Clark stared at me in total silence and I awkwardly stayed put. I felt his other hand move up my waist until he cupped my cheek. I became stiff on top of him and tried to wiggle my way out but he didn't let me. It marveled at me how strong he was in such a drunken state.

"Why didn't I meet you before her," Clark whispered and I gasped at the audacity.

"Clark, you're drunk."

Clark smiled. "No, I'm not... Well, I'm tipsy but not drunk. I'm conscious of what I'm doing. So, yeah; what I said was the truth. You're so much better than her in character, passion, and lifestyle."

My eyes went wide when Clark lifted his body with his arm resting on the couch. His grip around my waist was still firm and I had no choice but to stay still. I looked away from his face and hoped he released me sooner. I didn't want to hit him so he would leave me alone because I valued this job and didn't want to mess up.

I held my breath when Clark tilted his face until I felt his alcoholic breath on my face. When I was about to move my head away, Clark kissed me right on my lips. My body became frozen as his lips moved against mine.

I was too shocked to even understand when such happened and when my head came back to its senses, I pulled back and pushed my elbow into his stomach. His arm weakened and I rushed to my feet. I wiped my lips with the back of my hand and glared at him.

"Why did you do that?!"

"I am so sorry... I don't know what came over me. Please, forgive me."

I hissed. "You just cheated on her and you kissed me without my permission! You're here complaining that Maddy doesn't give you attention or whatever now you're kissing her best friend?! Are you crazy?!"

Clark staggered to his feet and stepped forward but I stepped aside, wanting to be far away from him.

"I'm sorry, Jackie. I didn't mean to do that. I was just moved by my attraction for you and me... Please, forgive me."

I felt like I had just betrayed Maddy. Here was her boyfriend, confessing that he had something for me and I had shared a kiss with him.

"Don't tell Maddy about this, please. She means a lot to me and I don't want her to hurt you for this since it's my fault. No one should find out about this, please. I can even up your salary but please don't say anything to her."

I hated how tired I was. I felt like a bad friend for thinking over what he said. I didn't know if I should let her know or if I shouldn't because she was my best friend and at the same time, I needed enough money for my second year in college.

"Please, Jackie," Clark pleaded softly.

A/N: Been waiting for this scene to happen. More shocking things will be revealed as you read.

Important Note: Read Forty-Three to the Fiftieth chapter on Patreon. As updates here will become slower due to my schedules/exams.

My Patreon link is in my bio.