4. A Strange Q&A

Although Lizzie did wonder how Joel had clothes that fit her so perfectly, she didn't care to think about it for long; she was just glad she could change out of her old and dirty clothes. She stared at the top of her canopy bed for what felt like hours, but realistically, after about ten minutes, a maid knocked on the door, causing Lizzie to quickly fix her posture on her bed. "Come in" She quickly said.

"Your Highness, King Joel wishes to speak to you in the northwest courtyard." They informed, opening the door fully. Lizzie showed a look of confusion on her face, before responding, "Okay," The maid nodded and quickly left.

"Your Highness"? Who did they think she was? She'd have to talk to Joel about it. Speaking of Joel, she had to meet with him. For some reason. Eh, it's probably nothing.

Lizzie got up and fixed her hair that was messed up from laying down, tying it into a low ponytail, with a few stray strands of hair since it was rushed. She flattened her skirt, and then her shirt, trying to remove the wrinkles. She looked in the mirror, fixing her posture.

Wait. Who was she trying to impress? Joel? No, that's absurd. It was obvious that they had been close friends before she lost her memory, so why would she need to look formal? Maybe because- "Nope! That's insane. He's married, Lizzie!" She scolded herself, looking back in the mirror and being met with doubtful eyes.

She let out a sigh, before walking out of the room, trying to remove the thought from her mind. Luckily, she was able to do that. Unluckily, it was because she got lost. The Metral Mezalian Palace was a literal maze! She wondered and wondered, but was met with more halls filled with odd decorations and Azaleas, and more rooms that she didn't even bother to check anymore. Until finally, she found a hallway leading to an open room filled with moss and flowers, while the colorful buildings towered above. This place couldn't stop amazing her. Is this what she had thought before?

Before she could space off absorbing her surroundings, she searched the courtyard, and found Joel in the far left corner, next to a little pond, trying to skip stones.

"Joel?" He turned around when he saw Lizzie, and stood up immediately, dusting himself off. "Oh, Lizzie! I didn't hear you," He stuttered slightly, blushing out of embarrassment. Lizzie laughed, "It's okay. Sorry I took so long,"

"Don't worry about it, the place is pretty big." Joel chuckled while walking over to her. "How do you know your way around so well?" Lizzie asked when she looked to her left, the palace towering over her.

"Well, I've been here my whole life. You tend to pick things up after a while." Joel replied. "I think I'd get lost trying to find the restroom! I mean just my room in general is huge! You really think I deserve that? I could have something smaller if it's a problem. I can sleep anywher-"

"Of course even when you lose your memory you're still just as generous. But honestly, it's fine. I wouldn't have chosen it if I didn't want you in it." He reassured.

"Thank you, but why did you want me here again?" Lizzie tilted her head slightly as she asked. "Oh, right! Well I just wanted to, er, hang out a bit. Y'know? I figured it's probably so weird and confusing being in this world that you barely understand, and I could help answer some questions?" Joel answered in more of question, asking if Lizzie was up for it as he walked to the middle of the courtyard, and sat in the shade of tree. He patted the ground next to him, gesturing for Lizzie to come over.

"Oh, okay. Well, I know that your kingdom is Mezalea, so what are the other kingdoms?" Was the first question Lizzie asked as she walked over and sat down next to Joel. The grass was surprisingly soft and the shade of the Azalea tree protected them from the heat of the very hot sun. She leaned against the mossy and worn tree behind her as Joel started going into detail about the empires.