Chapter 100 - Innocent and Dangerous

Chapters in advance in Patreòn
Pa treon.com/HolyJoker
(20+ chapters in advance)

***
-June-

She could feel it, like the kiss of cold wind, Sokka was… strange. Having grown in a rough part of the Earth Kingdom, June knew how to read a certain kind of people. There was an aura around them. No, there's no vile aura, nor is their appearance something that might draw suspicion.

But as she saw what Sokka did, a chill ran down her spine. Though no matter how hard she tried to dismiss such a feeling, June knew… the young man she met was dangerous. No, dangerous was an understatement for Sokka. Usually, you would get a warning, or a sign when someone has malicious thoughts about you. 

But Sokka was different, June knew that if he wanted her dead, she wouldn't know of it. Maybe he already wanted to kill her? Such thoughts brought a freezing chill down her spine, which made her hands shake. But taking a breath, she was able to calm down.

'No, I must calm down!' 

June was scared of him, more than Sokka knew and she wanted to keep it that way. She had stumbled into a secret of his, and he didn't seem like the kind of guy who would leave loose ends.

She could feel the chill run down her spine, as her instincts screamed at her to run away. But June held her ground, knowing that running away isn't an option. From what she had seen so far, it seemed like Sokka could cut her neck before she could even react. 

The chubby man controlling the vines said something and smiled at Sokka. But being so far away, June couldn't hear any of it. 

Don’t judge someone by their words, but by their actions, only then can you understand what they’re after. She knew that well, so to get a better read on Sokka, she had to try her best, as she inched closer, but traveling atop swamp trees wasn't effortless as they were very wet and you could slip easily. 

'I can tell with very little doubt that Sokka is a master manipulator. Nobody is perfect, yet everywhere I went, everyone would speak well about him. Even some Fire Nation soldiers spoke of his righteous demeanor. Back then I had the gut feeling that someone like him was too dangerous to handle. Fuck my luck.'

Initially, June thought her mission was easy. She never picked any dangerous missions as of late, all of that precaution she took was due to a gut feeling, just in case.  

“Oy, June, come and greet our new friend,” his disgustingly sweet voice rang out. It was like a gentle prickle in her ear that seemed to make all of June's worries fade away. A voice that puts people at ease, what a dangerous ability for someone like him.

'The chances of him killing me after this is over keep increasing the more I get to know him. I will become one of the countless people he will kill to keep his reputation clear.'

After a regretful sigh, June jumped down into the swamp waters. The gross, strange smell was the first thing that came to mind as she got closer to the muddy waters.

*Squelch*

Her feet sank into the water, and it felt like she had stepped in some bug. Also, her landing created a splash that caused swamp water to cover her whole body. 

She would have been mad at Sokka and even punched him for making her do something like this. Should she still try it? After all, guys always gold back against girls, and this act could be used to improve their relationship. Make her seem more human, so he doesn't kill her in the end.

'Right… I value my life too much. From his behavior, there's a very high chance that he won't even care at all.'

Walking towards soccer she tried to keep a nonchalant vibe. She didn't know how effective it was though as Sokka only smiled amusingly at her.