Chapter 104 - Calm Before The Storm

Chapters in advance in Patreòn
Pa treon.com/HolyJoker
(20+ chapters in advance)

***
Sokka took a sip of the expensive orange juice or whatever it was, this world had some fruits that he wasn’t too sure about. Even most of the animals were crossbreeds between the animals in his first world, though there are some animals like cats and some others that he has found are still the same. 

Lao Beifong… was strange. Sokka couldn’t try and scheme this, as Toph would be angry if he scammed her father or anything like it.

People thrive in the challenge, that's when you get to give it your all and show that you're worthy of what you have. Some people even went out there and sought to challenge themselves, Sokka wasn’t one of them, he didn’t want to live his life too on the edge. But he knew when to sharpen his knives. 

But still, people made mistakes throughout their lives, it was an inevitable fact. No one was born with experience in life… Well, normally that is. Sokka was an exception to this. While his Gamer interface gave him an advantage in life, only by knowing how to use such power and be cautious could he truly get the full benefits. Having an intelligent mind was like a calculator, without someone knowing how to use it, then it's just a piece of junk.

Life experience was a good thing, one of the cheat tricks of life, it's sad that you have to sacrifice your youth to get it. 

Sokka shook his head, dismissing such thoughts in his mind, and addressed Toph’s father. “Lord Beifong,” he contemplated what to say next in order not to offend the Beifong Family head. “Sometimes you just have to flex your power and be willing to go to their level. That way, if you're strong enough, most things fall into place easier. For example, with the Beifong Family name, isn’t it easier to make deals than some unknown merchant? Because the family name itself carries weight, that too can be considered a kind of power.”

He needed Toph, the greatest earthbender, with him. Bumi was another option, but he didn't trust the wise old man that much. Bumi knew what it was to make sacrifices, just like he sacrificed his monarchy for the greater good. Sokka didn't want to be another sacrifice in that cycle.

So what if the old man wanted Sokka to be someone who would be like a General? Leading Aang’s army and the resistance against the Fire Nation. That plan had died as soon as he had decided to put Azula on the throne. If it wasn’t beneficial to him, or lead to something beneficial at least, Sokka wasn’t going to do something he didn’t want to. 

He loved Bumi as a character in the show, but in reality, he couldn’t afford to make mistakes.

“I know what you mean. But the Beifong Family has cultivated this power for many generations now. What about you? Do you have the required power to deal with this?” Inquired Lao Beifong, curiously. He didn’t believe in Sokka. Why would he? After all, the young man was just a stranger that spoke big. But at least he was entertaining to see, so Lao Beifong didn’t dismiss him yet. 

Sokka smiled, drawing the water out of a glass and showing it to Lao, as the liquid slowly took shape into the form of three humans. A man, woman, and small child.

"Do you know why people turn to crime?" Sokka answered the question with a question of his own. "To people high up, crimes might seem like something criminals have in their blood. But those same criminals are also human, and have their own emotions."

Suddenly, Lao, as a fairly intelligent man, came to his conclusion too. "Nobody does crimes for fun."

Sokka nodded, smiling happily.

'Yeah, that isn't how the world works. As some people do it for fun, but I need to paint this semi-truthful story. The world is filled with crazy people, and sometimes some even put a certain glory to crime. For example, honorable duels ended up with someone dead, but since it had the word honor attached to it, that became something more than just murder.'