Chapter 20

jungkook tucked a blanket over Jaewon's sleeping body. Then he gazed at him.

A few years ago, jungkook had happened to hear that Jaewon had gotten a divorce. Jaewon acted as if he wasn't bothered, but he had gotten into a slump for a while. Today, jungkook was able to hear the full story about the divorce.

His wife was the first one to bring up the divorce. Jaewon desperately tried to change her mind, but he told jungkook that his wife remained adamant.

When his wife asked him to grant the divorce, claiming that she didn't even need any alimony from him, Jaewon realized he couldn't hold onto her anymore. He realized that the only thing he could do for her now was to go through with the divorce. And his children followed his wife as if it were to be expected.

"There's no use in raising children. If I don't contact them first, they don't even care to know if I'm still alive. I told them I was sick, and they told me to go to the hospital near my house. And when I tell them that I'm shooting a new drama, they only ask me to send them autographs from the actors on set... Haa. And it isn't as if they want to receive the autographs in person. They ask me to have it delivered to them instead. Because they're busy... How busy can they be...? I only want to see their faces." Jaewon's eyes grew damp as he said these words. Once he was completely drunk, he took out his phone and began to look at his children's pictures on their social media pages.

"When I was living with them, I didn't realize I was busy. I didn't realize what a blessing it was to see them grow up, see my wife grow old..." Tears dripped from his eyes as he spoke. This was the first time jungkook saw Jaewon cry. He silently filled Jaewon's empty cup with soju.

"The moments that didn't matter were the ones that were the most precious..." He continued to repeat these words. Then he slumped over the table and fell asleep.

jungkook stared at the sleeping Jaewon before silently leaving the office apartment building. He sat down on the bench in front of the building and pulled out a cigarette he had remembered to bring with him. He put it in his mouth and lightly bit down. A voice he had momentarily forgotten drifted into his head.

"Why did you learn something like that in the army? I don't like the smell of cigarettes. And it's not good for your health either. If you don't quit smoking, I won't even peck you on the lips. And I definitely won't be giving you any kisses either." lisa had said this to him a long time ago. They had been in their early twenties, and he remembered how lisa's face hadn't shown any annoyance but was filled with worry. Her frowning face was so cute that jungkook had considered teasing her a bit longer, but he thought against it in the end.

After that day, a cigarette never touched his lips unless he had to smoke for a specific role or scene. Because it would be a lot more difficult for him if jungkook withheld her kisses, jungkook found quitting very easy.

Remembering that day, a smile formed on jungkook's lips before fading away like smoke.

Where did that brilliant, beautiful love go?

His mouth tasted bitter. Now that they'd broken up, no one was around to tell him not to smoke. However, jungkook couldn't light the cigarette. He turned on the lighter one more time and tried to bring it to the tip of the cigarette, but he failed to do so. His hand holding the lighter fell back onto his lap.

He felt that if he smoked, then it would be a sign that it was truly over. A dark shadow cast over his sleek face. The winter breeze blew above him. It was cold, but he couldn't move. Smoking, going back home... None of it was easy anymore.

"It's cold. Let's hurry."

He heard someone's voice travel through the winter wind. Usually, he would have quickly walked away in fear of being noticed by strangers. However, jungkook remained sitting as still as a statue. He felt that it wouldn't matter if someone recognized him now.

"I'm okay. Let's just take our time. I like holding hands and walking with you in the cold."

"Still..." He didn't plan on overhearing their conversation, but his surroundings were so quiet that he could hear them clearly. The man urged her to hurry, but the woman pressed back because she wanted to spend more time with him.

"Don't you like being with me, Oppa?" The woman whined as she asked.

"It's not that. I'm just worried you'll catch a cold. I better hurry and earn a lot of money so that I can buy a car. That way, we don't have to date in the cold like this." The man spoke in an apologetic voice.

"No, I'm fine. It's not good for you to get into the habit of driving a car already. We can see each other longer if we slowly walk together. What's there to feel sorry about, Oppa? Don't you think so?" The woman spoke with laughter in her voice, but the man merely chuckled apologetically. The couple continued to murmur affectionately as they walked further away.

lisa also said something similar whenever he felt sorry for being unable to do anything for her.

"It's nothing to be sorry about. It's only natural."

"It's okay. We can just do it together."

"But I'm not cold. From now on, whenever we feel a cold breeze, we might remember this exact moment. 'Remember that time when we were twenty-three and had to walk because we didn't have any money to take the bus?' Just like that." lisa had spoken to him like this hundreds of times.

She'd always smile at him as if it were all okay.