Chapter 26

We were now on solid ground after a long while of flying. I was mostly quiet only adding bits to the usual banter that went on between us. The prediction still bothered me but I tried my best to push it aside. I packed my things and put them on Appa, jumping back down once I finished. I then started to do push ups. Something I rarely did now a days from the constant flying, it felt good. It helped me distract myself. I used to workout everyday for the past six years back in the South, it felt like a different time.

"Kya," Katara called out.

"I'm coming," I said jumping up and walking towards the others.

"Did you guys lose something?" Katara asked.

"No, we found something!" Aang replied with a smile.

I made my way to Sokka and picked up an arrow. It was burned, I touched the tip. 

"Isn't this?" I looked at Sokka. He nodded.

"There was a battle," Sokka said touching the scarred tree,"Water Tribe warriors ambushed a group of fire benders, the fire benders fought back but the warriors drove them down this hill,"

"No way," I ran down the hill following the trail, Sokka followed closely behind. We made it to a beach and stopped.

"So then what happened?" Aang asked curiously.

"I don't know the trail ends here," Sokka replied.

"One of our boats," I say shocked running over. 

"Is this dad's boat?" Katara asked.

"No, but it's from his fleet," Sokka answered and smiled,"Dad was here," we both say in unison.

I smiled. Not only at the idea Dad was here, Rui was apart of dad's fleet. I wondered if I could ever see them again. The memory of the day they left lingered in my mind. I missed them both so much. 

>>>

We set up camp for the night. Aang and Katara fell asleep. I looked over at Sokka who was sitting down keeping an eye out. The absence of our dad really took a toll on all of us. Especially Sokka, he looks up to dad so much. I missed him too, he was so supportive of everything and he always tried his best with the three of us, even after mom died. I smiled.

Then the thought of Rui entered my head. If I saw him I can show him how much better I've gotten, I even sleep more now. I felt excited, more then I have been in a while. He was always there, even when I didn't want him to be, he helped me so much. It was so painful to see him leave just because he was a couple years older. He taught me everything I knew. We were very different, he was loud, while I was quiet but he learned to understand me, not pity me like everyone else in the village did when my mom died.

~~~

<Two years ago>

The air was still, I ran after my brother who packed to leave with the men of our tribe. 

"Sokka," I called out," Wait for me,"

My dad walked over to us,"Sokka, Kya,"

"I'm coming with you," Sokka said.

"We both are," I added with a nod.

"You two aren't old enough to go to war. You both know that," Dad said with a slightly pained voice. 

"We're strong and brave," Sokka said