Chapter 15 Attack of Oak JR

We've reached a semi-climax! Honestly, buckle up 'cause it gets real cliche in here.  

Blackpearl shared what she knew about his plans. As it turned out, Oak was going to send four different troops to attack the Leafwing palace. They decided that Amber, Yeti, Blackpearl, and Boriel were going to hold them off. Shard would go to the queen and warn her. Cherry would deal with Oak.

Normally, a couple dragonets couldn't hold off a whole troop of skilled rogue dragons, but Oak was prepared to fight LeafWings, not the Prophecy dragonets.

After Shard warned the queen, he would return to each of the dragonets with more soldiers. They would take out the troops, and then find Cherryblossom.

The plan seemed safe enough, but Cherry still worried. What if my friends died just to stop my brother? That would be my fault too. She knew that if she mentioned this, her friends would wait and have another heart to heart, and they couldn't afford to spend anymore time. So she kept this in.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And thus the plan took off.

When there was one moon in the sky, Cherry found herself racing after Oak. He was leading her farther into the woods. Cherry had to duck and weave to avoid being eaten by the carnivorous plants.

Cherry ducked between two trees, slanting her body and tucking in her wings, as she leaped through the wider part. When she broke through it's leafy branches, she extended her wings and flapped to the ground, almost immediately running again. Wow. I just did that.

Finally, Oak came to a big cliff, Cherry close behind. He swiveled his head around, his taunting laughter fading away as he saw Cherry rocketing towards him. He stretched his wings to take off, but Cherry leaped on him, digging her talons into his shoulders, dragging him down.

Cherry pinned him down on the ground, his head was only a few inches away from the steep drop of the cliff.

"On no, you don't," She cried. She bared her teeth at him.

Oak swallowed nervously. "Very heroic!" He sneered, but it was strained. Cherry was pinning him down, but her strength was fading.

Suddenly, her head snapped up. "What's that?" she whispered. She stood up, releasing Oak, who scrambled away from her. A humming vibration was coming from the woods around her.

Cherry's head swiveled around, trying to locate the sound. A blue mist was taking the form of a young dragon. Cherry looked at it in shock.

"Cherry," The voice said, "Let me tell you something. Animus magic was broken many years ago. Now, when a dragon is born with it, they can not access the magic within, unless they go through a trial." The voice had a light whispery tone, like the woods were talking to her.

Cherry's mouth hung open. "Oak, you hear this?"

Oak stared at Cherry with a befuddled expression. "What? I can't hear anything!"

"He can't hear you. He is not gifted as you are." The mist held out a talon. A blueish green ball of pure light formed. "Here. your magic is here. When you get this, you will be a full animus. You will do whatever you want. All that power...yours."

"I...I don't want all that power. It's unnatural! Is there a way I can have it...and not be mad with power?" Cherry was restraining herself. She didn't know what from...taking the power? Running away?

Oak was staring at Cherry. "What?" He clearly couldn't see or hear anything that was actually happening around him.

"The ancient dragons learned of a soul spell. To protect the mind from animus magic. Now, we mist spirits, ghosts of the old animus magic, allow you the choice of three amulets. Choose correctly, and you are safe. Choose wrong...you will die a horrible fate."