46: How I Met Your Mother

"Explain to me again how this isn't a date?" Mickey asked under her sunglasses. "I'm coming over to bake." I picked out a pink blouse. "Uh-huh. Don't you mean, 'date'"

"Stop calling it that. It is not a date."

"Then why are we in the mall picking up a dress for you to wear on your bake n', not a date thing?" She argued back. "I just want to look nice."

"And I just want this headache to go away. Why did you have to drag me in here early in the morning? You know how cranky I get from hangovers. And all these bright lights are just making things worse. Oh, this is a cute dress" She picked one up and what do you know? It is cute. "You really don't remember anything from the party?" I asked and snatched the dress off of her hands. "I remember a bottle of beer."

"Beers." I corrected. "And I remember being in the water. Did you pull me up? Please tell me you're the one who pulled me."

"Uh, sure. I'm gonna take these to the fitting room." I decided not to tell her that it was Sarah who fished her out of the pool. Let's take this hangover one day at a time.

A few minutes later I finally picked out two dresses. "Grace." Josh's voice appeared from somewhere. He stood there hand in hand with oh, it's Carl. "Hi, Josh! You look great." Happy. "Yeah, well.." He looked at his- and I'm assuming, boyfriend. They both smiled. Now, that's a sight to see. "Hey, maybe you should wear this lingerie at Elena's tomorrow. Seduce her with a baking powder or whatever." Mickey appeared with a red-laced undergarment. Obviously isn't aware of the room. "Wh-what?" Josh said. I looked at Mickey with an I'm-going-to-kill-you-eyes and she replies back with an oops-sorry-eyes.

"And.. that's how I met your mother," I told Josh everything about Elena and me. Except for some minor details. I'm keeping them all to myself and the bedroom. He nods his head as we all finish our lunch together. "That's good."

"I'm sorry, what?" Good? How in the world would that be good? "You're not mad? You have every right to. It's fine, I can take it."

"Why would I be mad? Grace, I went out with you even if I knew I'm in love with someone else deep down in my heart. You're the one who has the right to be mad at me." But I'm not. I guess we never really cared about each other in that way. "So you're baking, huh?" He said. Air quoting the word, 'baking'. I rolled my eyes. "It's not like that. Why does everyone think of that?"

"Because it is," Carl said. "So are you really okay with me going out with your mother?" Mickey looks at me as she sips from her iced tea. "It's not a date." I strictly said. "It's fine, Grace. I really don't mind. In fact, there's no one else I would want my mom to date than you. You're incredible. And I know she knows that. And sure it's.. a little bit awkward at first. But we'll get past that moment. Mom." And they all laughed.