darkness

I the lonely moments only get lonelier the longer you're in love I 

 "Oh this is so awesome," Klaus does a tiny jig on the carpet. "Now you can finally join the adult table at dinnertime!" His expression is content as he sits down on the couch, making himself fully at home. Vanya is the opposite of happy. 

She looks at her apartment. Surveys the droplets of blood on the couch. Observes Five and I—one of which is injured, the other not having showered or eaten properly for the past three days. The institution is still coming for me. There is nothing that could stall them. 

My brain sears and this time it feels different. It doesn't feel right. Not just a memory. Something else too. 

"You must learn to control your powers, Y/N," Reginald says gruffly. He stands still by the door. Eyes flicker to the blonde robot beside him. Vanya sits beside me. I do not recall this memory at all. "You and Vanya both need to learn control. Now. This is Grace and I expect you to treat her with respect." 

The girl sitting on my left—mousy haired and quiet just as I remember lets out a tiny squeak. Power reverberates around the room causing the windows to shake. Sound waves. A glint of my power escapes as I try to hone in on the blonde woman's fear. But she has none. She is not human so she bears no fear. 

"Hello girls," Grace smiles widely, offering two bowls of porridge. "It's breakfast time. Have some porridge." 

Reginald exits the room, shutting the door tightly behind him. Vanya squeals loudly, holding her hands aloft. The cabinets begin to vibrate with her powers. Her powers. 

Vanya has powers. 

My eyelids open. I'm laying on the ground. The carpet is firm underneath me. Five is crouched beside me. Worried. It feels like there's something crawling underneath the surface of my skin. My vision is fuzzy. I feel lightheaded, but my powers are buzzing in the back and front of my brain at the same time. They are pushing to be let out. 

My powers are out of control. 

"Y/N," Five is whispering, hands on my shoulders. "What's going on?" Confusion. My head sears and I try to lay back. Five catches my head before it hits the ground. 

Klaus's expression turns unusually grim. "I think I might know." 

Five blinks over to him in an instant. "Tell me." 

"It's hard to explain. I have to show you." 

The academy is dark. Luther is waiting in the living room with Alison when we enter the front door. It is quiet. Until voices break out. Angry. I realize Diego is sitting there as well. 

"You had the monocle the whole time?" Luther says, his voice harsh. Like sandpaper against cobblestones. "What the hell Diego! Give it to me." 

"I threw it away," Diego says airily. He turns to us. "Oh, hi--" 

"You did what?" 

Five ignores them. Vanya gives a feeble wave. Klaus grins but it looks forced. He leads the way to Dad's office. 

"Hey! Hey!" Luther shouts after us. "Where are you going?" 

"To Dad's office," Five says carelessly. 

"No, no you aren't," Luther storms up from the couch. 

Dad's office is not untouched like some of the other parts of the house. Someone--Klaus has clearly been in here rooting through the papers to find something valuable. 

Klaus pulls up a giant binder of stuff. It's made of leather. Looks smooth but is hard to the touch. He flips it open to a page that has been so worn out it is torn around the edges. 

"Y/N Hargreeves, the Mad Hatter," he says, reading it aloud. "Number Eight." It was a dumb superhero name. I mean--it doesn't really have anything to do with fear. Maybe it's because I'm crazy. Or I drive other people crazy. 

"Klaus, put  that down," Luther says, trying to grab it from him. Klaus hops up on the table, continuing to read. "What are you doing with that?" 

A chorus of 'shut up's' meet Luther's words. He clams up, sitting down on one of the desk chairs. My brain feels dizzier still. 

"Her powers were erratic, difficult to control and always fatal," Klaus reads. "Number Eight has proved herself unstable with psychotic outbursts and failure to keep her powers subdued. Substantial use of electrical therapy has not been able to improve power management. Above this, I am concerned about her wellbeing." 

My eyebrows raise. He was concerned? 

"Number Eight has exhibited a strong connection to Number Five. At this moment, he is the only thing that is able to contain her unbalanced outbursts. Number Eight and--" Klaus stops. "the next part is torn out so I can't read the whole thing." He pauses. "Number Eight and blank, have proven to be quite a dangerous combination. Their powers together are able to cause indefinite destruction. Must subdue powers further." 

"What does this have to do with Y/N being sick?" Five asks impatiently. 

"Y/N is sick?" Alison furrows her eyebrows. 

"Hang on, hang on," Klaus flips the page. "After the Great Panic, which was caused by Number Eight's separation from Number Five--" I force myself not to react. "Number Eight has been separated from the group. She is now living in a health institution for those who have demonstrated unstable behavior." 

"Get to the point Klaus." 

"Due to Number Eight's eidetic and photographic memory, I believe she has great potential. However, there is something amiss with her powers; the way they affect her brain. Using her powers seems to bring out something dark inside her being. This darkness manifests anytime she uses her powers. I believe unless she learns to control the rage and regains control of her sanity, this darkness will eventually take hold of her." 

Silence. 

"What I'm getting from this," Five says, dangerously calm. "Is that Y/N has to control her powers and regain her sanity, otherwise she'll....die?" 

"Worse," I mutter. "I'll still be alive but I won't be in control anymore. I'll be a shell. A host--you could say." 

"A host for this so called-darkness?" 

"Exactly." 

Five's brain ticks over something. I can see him considering. Deep in thought. His eyes widen with understanding. 

"Everyone out," He says. "I need to talk to Y/N."