Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Motherliness Within.

In the middle of the night, Marcus woke up to a cold bed. Usually, Charlie is cuddling to him or she is close enough for Marcus to feel her warmth, but when didn't feel her close to him – he automatically woke up. He first looked towards the bathroom, but the lights were off which meant she is not in there. Maybe, she went downstairs to get some water. Marcus glanced towards her nightstand to see a covered glass of water sitting on the chest of the table. Even when he is sleepy and he has to wake up early to go to the office, Marcus doesn't go back to sleep – instead, he pushed the blanket off him and decided to go check on his wife.

Marcus wasn't wearing a shirt and was only dressed in a pair of grey sweatpants. He quickly put on his white t-shirt that was in the closet before he walked out of the room. As soon as he exits the room, he halted when he saw Charlie sitting on the floor outside the kids' room. She was facing the opened door and was staring inside the room. She had her arms wrapped around her knees while having her chin resting on her knees. Marcus noticed that she had made sure she isn't inside the room and he has an idea why. Marcus's heart twisted in his chest.

Bare feet, Marcus walked to her and slowly sat down beside her. Charlie doesn't move. She saw him exiting their bedroom. She also knew he would be waking up soon. He always does when he feels Charlie isn't around him. She feels bad to disturb him, but she couldn't stop herself from coming out and sitting outside Kathie and Ella's room and watching them sleep peacefully.

Only when Marcus got closer and sat beside her, did he see tears dripping down her cheeks. She didn't move. She didn't look at him either. "This is how it is going to be, no?" She whispered. Her voice wobbled as tears streamed down her face, "I will always be the other woman in your life," She snuffled. "I will always be the stepmother to Kathie and your second wife to the world. I can never be enough and then one day you will also realize that and –" She paused for a hiccup. She opened her mouth to continue when Marcus stopped her.

He placed his palm over her mouth. She averted her gaze to him to see him scowling at her. "Not another word, Charlie, I swear." He spoke agitatedly. "I will not accept this. Never. Kathie is young. She is confused. She believes whatever the world says. I told you I had a conversation with her and you can talk to her tomorrow in private as well." He told her before he heaved a sigh and removed his hand from her.

He placed his palms on each of her cheeks and with his thumb, he wiped the tears off her cheeks – which were replaced with the fresh ones. "If I am honest with you, I feel helpless right now. I have no idea how to make you feel better or how to erase this garbage from Kathie's mind. All I can do is tell you both the truth and I already did it with her. I told her how great a mother you are. How I made you a mother even before you gave birth to Ella. How you became a better parent to Kathie than me. How you accepted her as your child even when you didn't birth her. That's what makes you the best mother Kathie asked for," Marcus before a soft smile made it to his lips, "And you know what was the best part of the conversation I had with her?" Marcus said.

"When I asked her to recall any bad memory with you – she couldn't even think of one. She went silent and when I asked if there was any – she said no. And that's only because you have always been such an incredible mother to her that this stupid doubt will get off her tin mind in a matter of days, believe me. She loves you just as much you love her, Charlie. You are her mother and this truth will never change," He whispered. "And as off for me," He chuckled and shook his head, "I am already head over heels for you. Just now I woke up from deep sleep because even in my unconscious state I could feel your absences – and that – I cannot bear. Don't worry about me, baby, you are stuck with me for the rest of your life," He smiled and brought her face to him before he placed a soft kiss on her lips.

Charlie tried to smile at him but she couldn't. Her heart was breaking at the thought that Kathie had such bitter feelings for her. Since Marcus told her about what her friend had said and how parents were talking about this to their child, Charlie has been trying to act strong. She was restraining herself from breaking down for the sake of Marcus and her kids, but when she couldn't sleep at night when she wanted to watch her innocent Kathie sleep peacefully without the forced fear of Charlie hurting her – she came to check on Kathie and Ella. But there was something that stopped her at the door – a feeling – a drowning feeling. She couldn't take a step into the room, but her chest was still burning – so she decided to sit on the floor outside the room and watch her children sleep peacefully.