F O R T Y - E I G H T

You guys know the drill. Vote, comment, follow. Ily

MAX COSTELLO

PRESENT
JANUARY 2022

"I can't believe we're doing this," Oliver's voice wobbles

"I can't believe we're doing this," Oliver's voice wobbles. He helps me pack away my clothes into a suitcase and shoving my toiletries and shoes into a duffle bag.

I study him for a few moments, he didn't necessarily look scared but I guess he was concerned. Moving to a new city is a scary experience, we don't know what to expect. But as his brows pull down in a small frown and his lips part, I realise that this is a bigger deal to him than we both realise.

My fingers drop the t-shirt I was currently folding into the suitcase and I loop my bed, grabbing Oliver's hand for his attention. His green eyes flick up to me and he adjusts his septum piercing.

"We don't have to do this if you're not ready."

Oliver shakes his head, swallowing harshly. "I am ready, I am so ready but I'm just a little worried about everything."

"If you need more time to think about this Oliver, we can." I offer him a supportive smile.

"No," he stands his ground. "We have to go. We've already put the deposit down for a flat, we'll lose that money if we don't go and we're not exactly strapped for cash right now."

"Money means nothing to me Oliver, it's about your happiness, it's about what you want. So what if we lose £800? It's just money, we can work it out." My head leans in to press a kiss to his forehead.

Oliver clears his throat but doesn't say anything immediately. He pulls back and I wish I knew what he was thinking. Instead of speaking he continues packing away my clothes and I smile, following his lead.

"All your t-shirts are black," he comments.

I stifle a laugh. "And all your shirts are checkered."

"Touche."

Oliver smiles back at me and I know that this is the right decision. I could be anywhere in the world but as long as I'm beside Oliver, nothing could stop me from being happy. Even if we had no money, we lived on the streets. I'd still be happy.

We had already been to Jamie's friends and Oliver's old apartment to collect all of his belongings, packing them as tightly into the suitcases and bags we had. We just had to carry all of this to the train station in one sitting. I'm sure we could do it.

Oliver scrolls through his phone and chews on his lip. "There is a train from Euston in an hour or so, do you reckon we could make that one?"

I nod and zip up my suitcase before placing it down on the floor beside me. "Sure, I'll text the landlord and let him know when to meet us with the keys."