Chapter 2 - Campus Perk

When class was over I checked my phone and saw that I had a new voicemail.

"Hi Brenley. This is Melissa Dane. I'm Dylan Chase's personal assistant and I need to iron out some of the details of your trip with you. Please call me back as soon as you can."

I clicked on her number to call her back as I walked out of the Fine Arts building and into the campus courtyard where the sun was shining and the birds were chirping.

"Brenley! Thanks for getting back to me so quick! I need to get your flight scheduled. Do you want a window or an aisle seat?" she asked me, sounding like she was stressed and out of breath.

"Ummm. I'm not really sure. I've never flown before. What do you suggest?" I asked, shifting my backpack up higher on my shoulder as I walked.

"What? You've never flown before?" she asked in disbelief, sounding really surprised. "You'll definitely want a window seat then so you can check out the view. Are you vegan or have any food allergies or special dietary needs?"

"Ummm. No, not vegan, no allergies, no diets. I just eat whatever. I'm not picky."

"Good," she said, letting out exhale. "That makes my life easier. Do you prefer red or white wine?" she asked, still out of breath as if she was walking quickly.

"I'm not much of a wine drinker, but I guess .......... red?" I said hesitantly, sounding more like a question than an answer.

"You're not a wine drinker?" she asked, sounding shocked again.

"Not really. I'm more of a coffee girl myself. I'm a barista and my day doesn't start until I've had my caffeine fix in the mornings," I laughed.

"What's your favorite kind of coffee drink? I'll make sure we have it here for you."

"My go to is an Iced Chocolate Caramel Almond Milk  Latte with a squirt of Hazelnut syrup. Mmmmm, just saying it out loud is making me crave it right now. Have you ever had one?" I asked, pushing through the glass double doors into the English Language building.

"No, can't say that I have, but it sounds good."

"Oh man. You haven't lived until you've had one," I smiled. "I'll have to make you one while I'm out there. You'll love it," I told her as I walked into my English Lit class and took a seat.

"Oh," she said, sounding surprised. "Okay. Thank you. Also, one last thing before I let you go. What's your favorite Dylan Chase movie?" she asked.

Suddenly I started racking my brain. I knew he had been in a ton of really popular movies, but I couldn't think of one off the top of my head to save my life. I muted the phone and looked at the guy sitting next to me. He was a good looking guy in his early 20's, that was obviously on the football team because he was wearing a football jersey with our school's name on it. He looked like the kind of guy that would be into action movies.

I muted my phone and asked him, "Hey, what's your favorite Dylan Chase movie?"

His face lit up as he said, "Oh, definitely Dawn of the Deceased, the one where he plays a Zombie slayer. That dude's a total badass."

"Thanks," I smiled and unmuted my phone. "Dawn of the Deceased," I told Melissa quickly.

My professor walked in and I whispered, "Sorry, Melissa, but I have to go. My class is starting. Thanks!"

I hung up and shoved my phone into my jacket pocket, relieved to get off the call before she could ask me any more questions about Dylan that I didn't know the answers to.

"So, you're a Dylan Chase fan huh?" the football player beside me asked with a flirty smile.

"No, not really," I said, shaking my head and his smile faded. He looked disappointed and went back to taking notes, ignoring me for the rest of the class like he usually did.