19. Humiliated by a piece of bread.

ALPHA LUCAS

        The door opened and I was surprised to see Xander’s sister walking through the door into his office, casually.

         “Hey Xan, I wanted to ask if you are free…”  Those sharp black eyes locked on me as her steps stumbled a little.  “Um, hello.”  Her smile turned strained and her eyes moved to take in my position.

        I was still backed against the glass wall but now there was a respectable gap between her brother and me which was not all that much.  That fucker was still in my personal space pumping out pheromones like crazy.  If any other Alpha were in my position, Xander’s head would have been rolling down the ground. 

         Alphas don’t take lightly to posturing and they hate when other alphas get in their personal space.  But I got used to it with Xander.  When we were little he always used to make me submit by using the very nature against me.  It was all fun and games, until….

        Her eyes snagged on my crotch and widened slightly.  I looked down to see a barely-there bulge but a bulge nonetheless.

        “Um, uh… I’m,” She gave a startled laugh which cut off abruptly just as it started.  She cleared her throat.  “I’m sorry.  I think I have caught you at the wrong time brother, I will come to meet you again a little later.”  She addressed Xander before going out. 

         Xander looked a little confused until he gazed down and looked at what his sister saw.

        “You're disgusting, man.”  He spat and released me but not before pushing my shoulder against the wall. 

        He stiffly walked towards his chair and sat down. 

        “What do you really want, Lucas.”  He asked with his face in his hands.  Not looking at me. 

         I was a little concerned because he never goes spiraling for a girl.
Ever.  And I noticed that he was not his usual self, the moment I entered the office.  But I wanted her too and I was not going down without a fight. 

       “I'm going to ask Sylvia on a date,”  I said squaring my shoulders.

        He looked up at me sharply.  Even though his body looked tired, his eyes were glowing.  He didn't want me to pursue what he thought was his.  Too bad.

         “She is a human.”  He spat out.

        “Human or not, I am going to talk to her and get to know her.  I want to know why I feel the pull towards her.”  I gave him a cocky smile.  “As she only saw me at the very last minute before she ‘escaped’, her memories surfacing back is very less.”

        The glow in his eyes dimmed and his shoulders dropped like he was resigned to this fate.  For a hot minute, I felt sorry and concerned even, but immediately remembered what he did to me all those years back, which steeled my reserve back.  I don’t have to and shouldn’t feel sorry for this fucker.

         “Goodbye, Xandros.”

         The minute I stepped out of the office room, I heard a crash behind the closed door and a few muttered curses directed at me.  He knew that I could still hear him. 

         To my left, the assistant was giving me a hard stare but the way his body shivered and his hands shook, gave away his fear and nervousness.  I gave him a wolfish grin before walking toward the elevator. 

…….

SYLVIA HOLT

           I was sitting huddled against the window sill near my bed, gazing out at the darkness.  I couldn’t sleep.  I felt restless and irritated at nothing and everything.