Tribulation

[A/N: Hello my lovelies! Here is the next chapter for you all! I hope you're enjoying so far, and I absolutely love to see your reactions and your comments! It makes me so ecstatic to see how the story and details are being received. I love you all! As always, please enjoy! -K 🖤]

[🌿This chapter contains swearing, angst, and you guessed it, sexual tension.🌿]
***
The sounds of the jungle were overlapping as birds, insects, and other animals all contributed to the constant symphony around me. There was a translucent fog settling on the path before me, swirling and dissipating with every step that I advanced forward.

My feet carefully trodded a minuscule stream, the smallest of waterways that was hardly a foot deep and maybe a foot across. The rippling of the water only added to the ethereal ambiance and untamable atmosphere of the jungle itself.

I gently pushed the overhanging leaves that were protruding over me out of the way, careful to not disturb the integrity of the nature, nor create any suspicions or anomalies that would have my ass hounded.

The ground beneath my boots was freshly covered in fallen leaves and crunchy with twigs, also generous with layers of sediment that had been moistened by a recent rainfall.

"So, what does this guy have against banks? At least a safe." Will's voice met my ear through the comms. I adjusted it again for fear of it falling out. My breathing was shallow and restricted, thanks to the bulletproof vest constricting my chest, and because of the eeriness of being on a solitary trail in the jungle.

Santi's voice followed through the channel. "The house is the safe." He replied to Will's inquisition. I pondered his response, unsure of what he implied. From what intel I read about Lorea, he was powerful and incredibly wealthy. But why would he choose to not put his illegal funds into a more secured or protected institution?

A clearing in the foliage presented itself, and I crouched to conceal myself in the greenery and brush. From my position, I had the perfect view of Lorea's home and access to windows and a clear sight of the front entrance. If I had my rifle, I could make quick work of the patrolling guards that my eyes followed from my silent position.

"I'm at the gate." Benny's voice crackled into my ear and I craned my head, attempting to search for the area of the gate. I knew that it was close because of Santi's description in the folder, but my current position was blocked from seeing it.

My fingers moved nimbly to the device, pressing it to allow myself to speak. "I'm at a ridge overlooking the house. I don't have eyes on the gate." I offered, mainly to Ben, because I didn't need him pulling anything stupid while we were stealthily surveying the property.

"Looks like everything was done about 82% right. They got all the toys out here, but these cameras aren't even aimed at the weakest breach point. Hades, clear the ridge and make your way towards me." Ben instructed, as the plan was that we'd both be searching for the highest vantage points, meeting if needed.

"Copy." I stated into the receptacle, finalizing my perusing and taking cautious steps away from the advantageous position. Preferably, I needed a spot that offered a complete layout of Lorea's property and included the front gate.

"Your girlfriend's making her normal money drop?" Tom's voice broke the silence and my crouching footsteps slowed in curiosity and in preparation for a response.

"Yeah." Santi's voice returned, causing me to freeze where I was, paralyzed in a strange emotion. "She's prepared to record the inside of the house." He continued, and I inhaled deeply, unsure of how to respond, not into the comms necessarily, but in general.

Girlfriend?

I bit my lip and roughly tugged at my vest, attempting to break free and breathe normally, because as of right now, all the oxygen had been mercilessly stripped from me. I frantically rubbed my eyes, mentally berating myself for worrying about the fleeting interaction between Tom and Pope.